Community Forums/Common Room/.

EOF(Posted May) [#1]

Rooster(Posted May) [#2]
Windows decides to interupt you by restarting...

Yeah, I've had my far share of those, I don't remeamber them ever giving you warning when you have something full screen.

I've been using my Windows laptop as a alarm clock lately, and I've discovered Window likes to spontaneously turn itself off while in sleep mode.

However, updates take the cake.
They always seem to happen when you just need to start the computer, love to take a long time, and have a good chance of freezing up.
I prefer Linux's non-automatic update system, where you have to chose to run the update after you start the computer.

EOF(Posted May) [#3]

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#4]
Messing with tech can drive anyone mad

Rooster(Posted May) [#5]
@Jim Brown
I can't help but look at my laptop in a more sinister light now...

GfK(Posted May) [#6]
My laptop warning me I've only got 10% battery power left, then in the 30 seconds it's taken me to get up, plug it in and come back, it's somehow used up the last 10% and shut itself down. >:|

(tu) ENAY(Posted June) [#7]
I think in recent years my main gripe with Windows is just sudden slowness or lack of response for several seconds, even when doing something simple like just scrolling up and down on a website. I remember in like 1999 on an Internet T1 connection that websites would practically load in an instant and yet almost 20 years later, it can still sometimes take a couple of seconds for even a site to just appear on a new tab.

Also, anyway else have an issue (which I've had probably since ever) when you boot up a web browser and the first 30 seconds ago or go is really laggy? So when you're trying to insert your username and password the tab key doesn't respond and you end up typing in your username AND your password together in the same box, then when the "enter your password" error pops up you realise you've saved your username and password into Windows auto complete system and then you have to go about deleting your passwords and registry keys to make sure it doesn't autocomplete into any other boxes? God I hate that. Especially since often when you proper legit type in your username and password but the page decides to finish loading just as you're about to submit or type in your password and the cursor also pops back into the username text fields.

such as when Windows decides to interupt you by restarting just as you are about to submit an online payment form which took painstaking checking to make sure every digit and character entered is perfectly accurate.

I have a similiar problem there, where Windows might suddenly come up with a reboot prompt (or any popup message) but often I'm typing away at lightning speed and before i've even registered in my mind that a prompt has appeared I'm still bashing the keys and have probably pressed the enter key already and whatever was written in the popup, I didn't get chance to read it. And yeah, a few seconds later, Windows starts to shuts down.

My laptop warning me I've only got 10% battery power left, then in the 30 seconds it's taken me to get up, plug it in and come back, it's somehow used up the last 10% and shut itself down. >:|

You're lucky. My laptop will often just switch off unannounced. After I plug it in and log back in, THEN it will tell me I'm low on battery.