Tell me - am I reading too much into this?

Community Forums/Common Room/Tell me - am I reading too much into this?

Matty(Posted May) [#1]
Hi folks....

Disclaimer:

In 2015 I was hospitalised for a break from reality/psychosis which was temporary. I had delusions and paranoid thoughts. Since that time my mind has improved, I'm working full time and living a productive and quality life (lots of good things).

However....

Since that time my outlook on the world has shifted. I see the world through a different lens now. While the delusional paranoia has left me I can't help but look at things that go on in my world and try and read meaning into them.

The 'plain ordinary world' around me is supposedly normal, natural, mundane and plain. But there are little events and occurrences in my life and around me that suggest hints of things not being mundane and plain. It is hard to describe.

My mind is sane but now I often come to a point where I'm trying to analyse the world around me and explain what I see. I see things that make no sense to me, that I cannot guess the rationale for and am left with questions.

How does this relate to gaming?

Well....my app making efforts tie in with this quite directly.

Part of my paranoid thinking is thinking that people are conspiring against me. I no longer feel that way but there are things that often have the appearance of conspiracy even though there is none supposedly.

Re my app making:

I've written a lot of games, a lot of games. None of them have been successful - and that is okay, I'm not expecting success.

But for example - if we take the most recent game I wrote (Blades and Beasts Fantasy RPG) as an example of something fairly typical of my experience - and how I'm trying to understand what is going on.

I released it on the 26th of May, 3 or 4 days ago.

It had 1 download by an old friend (paid download of $1). My metrics tells me that he never actually played it. Unusual.

I posted promo codes to download it for free, here and elsewhere so that people could at least try it without paying for it. Not one of them was used.

I've advertised on google with AdWords - 100k impressions, 3k clicks and not one download. I've advertised in the past on Google and if I advertise free apps I get consistent downloads, but if I advertise a paid app I get absolutely zero no matter how much money I spend - suggests that google is not really advertising my app but is just making up numbers that look real.

If you look at my other thread my app appears in the middle of the search results about 10 pages down amongst a host of other completely unrelated crap - 'Live Horse Wallpaper' .. how the f*** is that like my app? Redneck Toss??Big Truck Driving or whatever..

Now - I'm not complaining about not having lots of downloads.

I'm not complaining about a lack of success.

What I'm unsure of is - and this is my ex-paranoid mind speaking:

Is there some conspiracy organised by someone like Google or someone higher up to prevent me from having any level of reach or success in my own IT hobby efforts?

Surely not, surely that's crazy talk. Surely that's absolutely ridiculous.

Here's a picture for you.

The following game comes up in Google Play store search results ahead of mine, well ahead of mine, and has the following features:

Rating 2.6
1000-5000 Downloads
A black screen as the screenshot.

Now if Google is the king of search engines then why is their search so bad when it comes to my own efforts?

How do I explain this without resorting to conspiracy theories?

How do I explain this without resorting to ideas of paranoid delusion?

Is it just something weird that happens - a random weird result of the search results?

Is it just that google's algorithms are bad?

Or are they working against me to succeed/annoy me? Of course not - that is crazy talk.

But I cannot believe that Google's search engine is *that* bad.

And this is just one aspect of the situation. There are far more examples I can find. I just don't get it.

Like I said - I'm not complaining about not getting thousands of downloads or anything...I just feel that whatever I do I'm not going to get any result at all.

When I was in hospital in 2015 a patient broke into my room when I was out, mucked up all my belongings and wrote a note in my notepad that said "If you finish your game no one will play it" - which was quite prescient and sticks in my head as an example of pretty much exactly what will happen....there were other comments made in that time, some of which were by people who were crazy that haven been shown to be strangely accurate and weird too....there is a sense that my crazy period gave me an insight into the world in a bizarre way that is somewhat real....but it can't be.

(example of app that comes up before mine...well before mine)

skidracer(Posted May) [#2]
Short answer, YES.

It had 1 download by an old friend (paid download of $1). My metrics tells me that he never actually played it. Unusual.

Have you considered you can verify this in real life without becoming paranoid / let it play on your mind.

I posted promo codes to download it for free, here and elsewhere so that people could at least try it without paying for it. Not one of them was used.

Again, the facts are pretty straight forward. No one is interested, no delusional over-rationalisation required.

I've advertised on google with AdWords - 100k impressions, 3k clicks and not one download. I've advertised in the past on Google and if I advertise free apps I get consistent downloads, but if I advertise a paid app I get absolutely zero no matter how much money I spend - suggests that google is not really advertising my app but is just making up numbers that look real.

Again, go with the most obvious answer, there are 8 billion people on the planet but your efforts are failing to reach those that have any appetite for the games you are creating.

So many times successful people have stories where after several fails they "pivot", take a different direction and then succeed.

In your case I would strongly suggest you to consider health and well being as an app type that is both Hot and that you may be interested in personally.

The thing about Market Research is that you actually have to consider the results, not just tick the box saying you have done market research.

xlsior(Posted May) [#3]

No, that just means that most people aren't willing to pay money for apps they haven't heard of, and don't feel like following ads for paid services. With games, you get a million duds and a handful of runaway success. For every angry birds that has tens of millions of downloads, there are a hundred thousand other apps that will never even make back their development cost.

And a LOT of this is plain and simple luck, or simply spending tens of millions of dollars on advertising. Candycrush wasn't the first match-3 game, it certainly isn't the best, yet they managed to make millions. Luck, deep pockets and persistence got them there.

Flappy Bird was a stupidly simple and basic game, yet a huge success. Complete luck -- there's a million near identical clones that failed miserably even though they may look, feel and play better than the original.

Try to see it from the other side: Honestly -- what do you think the likelihood that you yourself would spend a buck on some random game you've never heard of that you see an ad for? Most likely, you'll just ignore it, same as everyone else. *eventually* a game may get enough players that word-of-mouth starts kicking in, and if you're lucky things may snowball into success... But realistically those hits are few and far in between.

Once a game studio makes it to the top they can sell a ton simply based on their name: E.A. can sprinkle some glitter on a turd and sell a 20 million pre-order copies simply because they've had a decent track record. For the rest of us it's an uphill fight.

(As far as the codes you posted here are concerned: I did see them, but personally I generally don't care for RPGs and those kind of games, so I didn't bother activating a copy, left it for others that may like them instead.)

Anyway -- don't give up, just don't believe all the hype that you read about mobile gaming.

Matty(Posted May) [#4]
Thanks folks....a dose of reality is sometimes all I need.

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#5]
Like skidracer says, short answer YES.

and this is my ex-paranoid mind speaking

I think in your mind Matty you know what you're thinking is not reality, you even describe yourself as paranoid, you wrote it just here.
What you describe can be happening to just about anyone, it's not a conspiracy against you.

Don't give up Matty. But if things aren't going so well on a particular day, don't assume people are out to get you. They're not.

Mainsworthy(Posted May) [#6]
Matty your Art, and I also include your early handrawn Art is good, and people think they know better what makes a good game, but that's not the case, if you make a game with consistency where all art is of similar style it will work ok,

the problem is in the modern times, is there are too many Apps to compete with, so lazy gamers are not looking much at an app, they only glance at a screenshot.

if you do 10 or 20 games , a gamer may like one of your games and may view all your games. its a matter of having a wider net that just one game.

your not alone, success is a hard thing to get, or everyone would have it, there may be 3 billion chinamen that would play a boardgame you make, its a mixture of luck and quality and work and advertising.

one thing I know for sure creativity is the best medison .

I have a basic RPG type game https://numbergamer8.itch.io/xplore with terrible graphics, if you wanted to make better art, I would be very happy, but don't worry if your busy with other projects.

Rooster(Posted May) [#7]
mucked up all my belongings and wrote a note in my notepad that said "If you finish your game no one will play it"

Well that's scary...

I don't have a cellphone, so I would need to learn how how to get Android stuff working on my desktop first. ;)

Also are all of the advertising hits from Android users?
I don't know if you are able to target them specifically, or if you have no control over it.

AdamStrange(Posted May) [#8]
I feel for you and completely understand your feeling - I've been there.

I'm going to say something here.

DUMP ANDROID!

Turn your back and walk aways from it. stop all development for it immediately!

YOU are feeding your paranoia. The Android platform (as I can see it) is set up to keep giving you negative associations.

you create something, put it up, then watch what happens. then make changes and don't like the results, the ratings, the feedback - lack of contact, etc.
It's a feedback loop. and it's making your situation worse.

Sometimes there is a conspiracy. sometimes things do conspire against you (not knowingly). Sometimes the situation is the problem itself.

Here's my story:
I worked with a company doing very low level UI and graphics. There were some serious issues which I couldn't work out. the more I worked the odder the problems became. the lower into the code I went.
This meant lots of research, and lots of new shiny things to learn. I was told it was better if I just didn't go and look at some of the things.
I looked, I saw, I learnt.
Slowly the walls came in on me. the deeper into the code I went the more the walls came in and the more unhappy I became.
Suddenly I was dealing with the internals of the OS, at a concept level and also at a machine code level. it wasn't good and I didn't feel good.
I proposed a system to get rid of all the issues that I saw. The company responded:
"It's brilliant, we don't think it can be done, and if it could be done, you couldn't do it!"
Complete breakdown.
I had to walk away from the company (not a great loss) but more importantly the OS itself. The OS was stacked against me. even using it now makes my skin crawl, knowing what I know.

as I said before DUMP ANDROID, it's is not making you healthy, it's feeding your negative thoughts.

Rick Nasher(Posted May) [#9]
mucked up all my belongings and wrote a note in my notepad that said "If you finish your game no one will play it"
Apart what was already said above about Google/Android which I second(I myself never ever purchased an app, just downloaded the free full of add ones), there are in this world some unfortunate individuals to which some may refer to as 'haters', that are trying to beat everyone down so they can feel better about themselves.

I've noticed these people are usually weak in some sort of way making them susceptible and vulnerable to ill suggestions. If this is inspired by 'something' is a possibility I cannot exclude, given my personal experiences.

I find that it makes no sense to be overly worried or consumed about these matters though(can't forse ill intent coming if planned way ahead), but nevertheless it's reason for me to be cautious and mind my step.

Mainsworthy(Posted May) [#10]
Matty, lisen to Adam , I donr know about android, but Adam has vastly improved my work.

GfK(Posted May) [#11]
I've written a lot of games, a lot of games. None of them have been successful
Didn't you start a thread very recently declaring that one of them was successful?

Anywho, I saw the game in question and I have every confidence that the problem is primarily one of aesthetics. Just on the way it looked, I didn't want to investigate further. People say graphics don't matter but they really, really do. They're your proverbial shop window. It's what draws people in in the first place. Even Asda would be out of business within the week if they smeared the front of their shops with cow-turds, regardless of how much advertising they do.

I appreciate that you might want to learn to do your own artwork but speaking from personal experience and not to put too fine a point on it, it's f****ng hard when you're not a "natural". Fair do's, occasionally some self-professed "artists" can get away with being no good at it - Picasso, for example (seriously - go look at his work), but for most of us, lack of talent is an obstacle.

I'm not sure what software you're using for artwork but I highly recommend Clip Studio Paint (formerly Manga Studio).

Oh yeah, and as has already been said - don't fuel your paranoia by wasting your time with Android/iOS. Stop wasting your money on Google AdWords, go and draw loads of stuff, throw it away, and draw it again. In your spare time, get yourself a copy of "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards, and read it from front to back. If you can't get hold of it, at least do some research on drawing negative space - it will help you no end.

Matty(Posted May) [#12]
Yeah GfK....i've been a bit tossed around by trying to change my perspective on things...so yes in one sense it was successful but in the back of my head it really wasn't because my original aim was to sell approximately 10k copies a couple of years ago..which was obviously not what the market valued it as....

You are right.

Fielder(Posted May) [#13]
sorry.. looking on graphics .. i will never download something like that for free ... at 1 $ .. completely insane.

you have to replace all graphics with a LOT BETTER graphics... remove the 1$ payment... when game reach a little of succes.. make the PRO version.. with rewamped graphics (again) .. a some new skills (maybe)

RemiD(Posted May) [#14]
I don't want to be too frank because then Rick will call me a hater and go hide like a little kid, but honestly Matty, the gameplay of your games is really boring and limited (imo), so in an age where there are a lot of choices at an affordable price, why should we play/buy your games ? I have played your last game with your own graphics and i really don't understand how you can be interested/excited by such gameplay... (but the characters graphics are cool imo)

And i am not saying that my creations are better, i am often discouraged and give up when i realize all the works remaining to do in order to make a good enough video game... (intriguing, fun, addictive, customizable, ... )

Get real guys, your tastes and perceptions are only yours and not necessarily those of others...

Also maybe watch Truman show to solve your paranoia issues (ahahah :D)

Pakz(Posted May) [#15]
Matty. Do you still see a psychiatrist? Maybe you need a little higher dose of the medicine that let your brain go back into a more regular way of functioning. The brain switches can spark into those different ways of thinking(bad ways) sometimes and antipsychotic medicines can usually solve that.

I have been hospitalized for psychosis for a number of times in my life. The last time I was hospitilized for a year! Medicine really help calm the brain.

If you speak to your psychiatrist and tell them you have those(even sometimes) paranoid thoughts he will probably adjust your(or maybe give you) the right medicine.

One other tip I have is to not continue to think(feed) on thoughts that are a waste of time. Have fun thoughts and family thoughts. Make games, learn skills. Read books ect. Do not go brainstorming, that can break the brain. See it as training your brains neural networks and it starting to give you modified thoughts and feelings of the input you give it. Train it bad things and ....

Matty(Posted May) [#16]
Just a comment to those whove said theyd never buy it-thats ok it's not to your taste but there is a market for it as in the last 48 hrs 20 plus people have played it. Hopefully googles report matches when it comes through but my own reports tell me there are new purchases about once every 2 hours

So...if this keeps up Ill be earning about $7 per day which covers my coffee each day. If I make a few more it is a nice passive income.

Rooster(Posted May) [#17]
Yay! =D

Matty(Posted May) [#18]
@RemiD - I agree that the game in the other thread that I called a 'collaborative rpg' was a little limited - this one is a bit more interesting, but still simple - it is a mobile game after all - and also I don't like complex games, I like simple ones...but as you say everyone's tastes are different.

@Pakz...yep still see a doctor...I think I'm fine in terms of mental health currently...the thoughts I was sharing are merely me trying to come to an understanding of the world around me... I wrote a book about my experience over 20 years which if you're interested you could read here: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B06Y5PQKC3 (also on other countries amazon if not in your region) - yes hospitalisation for a year would be hard...I was hospitalised in 2015 for 2.5 months....but a year - that would be terrible...the drugs do work but at the same time they have been known to cause the very thing they're designed to treat - and there is evidence to suggest healthy patients who are given the drugs will develop ill mental health after coming off the drugs which suggests they are quite dangerous.

RemiD(Posted May) [#19]
Well this is a good sign that your gameplay is appreciated by some people. Now maybe find a way to get some feedback from them about possible improvements and decide if this fits with your goals for this game...

As i said again and again, our opinions about the graphics style / sound style / gameplay is meaningless because we are not your target players... On these forums you will find useful help about how to improve the technical aspects...

Good luck.

RemiD(Posted May) [#20]
So what should i search on the google play store if i want to test your new game ? (i have only tested the blitz3d version)

Matty(Posted May) [#21]
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lloydm.quickgame

Seatch for mattiesgames then go to blades and beasts fantasy rpg or do a yitle search.

Matty(Posted May) [#22]
This is different than the blitz3d game.

RemiD(Posted May) [#23]
the search function of google play is weird, if i search for "blades and beasts" or "fantasy rpg" i don't see your game in the results...

cps(Posted May) [#24]
This may rise a smile.. An abridged list of my digital output from least popular to most popular.
My Games involving me in many sessions over several months to complete.
My Educational Support Software taking up to a dozen sessions over a couple of weeks (most of that being incorporating feedback from the users.)
My 100 liners that are task specific. Taking an hour or so.. Ie A Percentage Calculator.
You enter a number for the correct answers and a number for the number of questions asked. This is for tutors that need to provide a percentage figure to their supervisors for students correct answers.
Even though a simple spreadsheet equation or maybe something like a SQL linked list would be the obvious answer. I have passed this program to something like 40-60 persons many of whom have passed it to others ?
What I am getting at is effort does not relate to reward or even usefulness. Van Goth and many others were unknowns to their peers but this does not diminish the value of the work done. Have fun cps

Matty(Posted May) [#25]
@remid - hence my thoughts of conspiracy earlier...ridiculous i know but when the king of search engines cant do a title search....bugger.

Matty(Posted May) [#26]
Edit - sigh....pirates most likely....?

Google is reporting that I have 1 download.

My metrics report that I have about 45-50.

So what is the difference?

Possibilities:

1. Google is under reporting my downloads - highly unlikely - they'd get in big trouble if it was known they were doing this

2. An automated script is triggering my webcode to indicate a new user - highly unlikely though not impossible, this is conspiracy theory stuff though so I don't think so

3. Bots are harvesting paid apps on Google Play and putting them up on pirate websites - actually this is quite reasonable to believe

4. Google's own Bots are playing the app and starting as a 'new user' each and every time which confuses my metrics.

Sigh...looks like I won't be buying coffee each day with the proceeds after all.

RemiD(Posted June) [#27]
yes, that's weird... how can you have so many users if there was less payments ? for a paid game, it should be one payment = one user...

by "user", what do you mean ? an ip address ? an email address ? a buyer id ? a machine id ?

Matty(Posted June) [#28]
A unique id tied to the install generated on first runtime.

Matty(Posted June) [#29]
According to google i have 1 user. According to me i have 50 in 3 days.

RemiD(Posted June) [#30]
i suppose that you can take a look at your google checkout account history to be sure about the numbers of real transactions...

Maybe there is a bug in your tracking system...

Matty(Posted June) [#31]
No bug. The code is too simple. If there was a bug I'd see it with my own usage. I can do it on my own devices and see exactly when and how often they play the game. It's very simple. I think it is piracy most likely. I cant believe Google would behave in such a way that they deny me transactions. Somehow my app already exists on pirate sites though which is more of a concern. That and the dodgy search tool.

RemiD(Posted June) [#32]
So what you suggest is that the first (and only) sale was most likely from a pirate and then all others installs/users are from unauthorized users ? if yes, that's bad...

Derron(Posted June) [#33]
Couldn't you buy something and give that back within a certain time frame?

Of course google will show you only successfully sold units (the one to your buddy).

So if you only sold 1 and this was your buddy, who will have pirated it (/conspiracy-mode-off).

Trust me that for now there wont be so many people "pirating" your game.

@ title search
No, you do not do a title search, you are searching with keywords - and more prominent entries are more likely the ones others have really searched for, when using your keywords. It is similar to the google-search.
If you do not believe me: try searching for
"blades and beasts fantasy rpg"
(including the quotation marks)
and guess what: the one and only result is your game.

-> improve "findability" by adding more descriptional text (means more "keywords").

@ assets
No ... if I am looking for a game and am seeing this screenshots I am thinking someone is learning to code (I know code<>assets). I just am not interested in even trying out the game - regardless of how gameplay would be.
If your art skills are kind of limited ("yet"), then try to find a style which works with that limited skills.
AdamStrange (and others, like me) already told you about some options (black-white, sketch-drawings...).

I mean - check this image.

Are you serious? Fonts not fitting to the "theme" - looking like system fonts blit on a win32-gui in win98. Use Bitmapfonts with some styling (color, texture, ...) or at least a fitting one with some antialias. The fighter-girl has jaggy outlines as if it was ripped from somewhere - did the author/artist who has done this game not have a short glance at his project when adding it?
Why has the button at the bottom no outline (and same for the girl) while the scroll has one - and what is that "king-icon" on the scroll?

It looks like a mixture of elements put together rapidly for a "prototype" of a game.
This is eg. one of the reasons why I suggested you "Autodesk Sketchbook Free" to try out with your wacom. You might even want to check out Inkscape or so (as it eases "adjustments" afterwards - and vector shapes are always a nice to have).
Your characters (see the other thread) are still a bit inconsistent and expose too many details for the size you are using them - and too less details for showing them as "avatars" in ingame screens. They would need to get "painted again" (use them as background, draw clear and non-jaggy-outlines - eg with vectors or a good drawing app).
This approach also allows to do "variations" of an existing character very easily.
Drawing them with solid colors allows for a consistent shading afterwards (eg the cartoonic one with a bright fill on top and a dark at the bottom - no gradients needed at all).

Ok, so excuse me for sounding that harsh this time. But please... please create/continue a thread for this game and LISTEN to the feedback people give you and OVERHAUL the whole thing. There is so many one could improve asset-wise in that game.
And once it looks "convincing" enough you could still listen to the people blaming boring gameplay - because this is also a very subjective topic. While we are hmm let's say "more than average" smart the most players in the world are "average and below" and they do not need uber-complex games. They from time to time like to play repetitive games - like doing 100 quests which are mostly the same (WoW anyone?). And even we "smart asses" do that just to take an outtime from the hard day jobs or "tinker times".

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted June) [#34]
There is something to add:

Google will surely have some machines auto-running your app to check what it does. They analyze your code and also sandbox-run it (at least I think so).

Depending on your metrics script this could be recognized the wrong way. Maybe only count if at least the game-scenario was started.

Multiple "users" could be the case if multiple VMs ("android 4, android 5, ...") are executing/compatibility-checking your game.

@ piracy
if _nobody_ (ignoring your buddy for now) bought/test-bought your game and was pirated, I am pretty sure that google would be interested in it. But I really doubt that this is the case.

bye
Ron

Matty(Posted June) [#35]
Thanks. You've got me thinking.

Doing some introspection.

AdamStrange(Posted June) [#36]
I'm not going to say anything about the above pic apart from this:

"Complete Dangerous Quests" <- that is a correct sentence
"To slay monsters for gold" <- that is not a correct sentence looks like a poor Chinese translation

"Complete dangerous quests to slay monsters for gold" <- this is also gibberish

what you are saying is:
Hey dude? Complete a dangerous quest for me and once you've finished it, you can slay some monsters... For gold!

now where it get really interesting is this is in a 'compute speech bubble'... So its the text "I quest thee, etc" that is saying this?

So... what you are saying to your potential users is this:
I can't be bothered to make my game read correctly and I can't be bothered to care that it doesn't look good.

RemiD(Posted June) [#37]
About message boxes with different sizes depending on the number of lines and the max width of a line, with custom art in hte background, take a look at how it is done in html this may give you some ideas...

skidracer(Posted June) [#38]
Agree with Adam and would add the lack of care with fonts would have you fired under my hire.

The fact you are reading this and not polishing your game shows lack of care also :)

grable(Posted June) [#39]
Just to chime in on the Paranoia, i too have been dealing with that crap for decades!
It never really goes away unless you drug yourself into a zombie, which i dont do.
But you learn to live with it over time, and you really should try to do that without the drugs (unless your super crazy that is, im sure your doctor will tell you :p)

All i can say is, nobody cares about you that much to warrant such behavior, except for family, friends and the occasional crazy.
People are too busy dealing with their own stuff to even know you exist. Seems simple, but for a paranoid like me it took many years to come to grips with this.

But as you said yourself Matty, your viewpoint seems to have changed. You have gained some skepticism and an upgraded pattern matching brain, which is only healthy in the world we live in today.
Just dont let that pattern matcher make you go over the deep-end like you did before, remember to take a step back, take a deep breath and re-think whatever you where thinking and it usually solves itself :)

laytonkinyon(Posted June) [#40]
On google play, it doesn't have a price tag. I don't know if you removed the $1, but it just gives me options to install. Maybe this is why you're not getting the metrics/money matched up? If you're curious, my region is Arizona in the USA, idk if that has anything to do with it, but just wanted to throw yourself out there.

Derron(Posted June) [#41]
For me it doesnt have a price tag too ... so I think he made it free.

At least installations went from "1-5" to "50-100". Wonder what Matty's metrics now tell about the user base.

Improve the free game and then create a "my game II" for a cheap price. Add a hint to the game (and of course also other updates!) to the older game to make people aware of the successor.

bye
Ron

Matty(Posted June) [#42]
Hi Derron...

Yes....that's kind of what I'm thinking...

Yes I did make it free.

I have had a number of games for sale over the course of the last 18 months and have had on average 1.5 sales per month over that time - total waste of effort.

My metrics tell me a few things now:

I have users - about 150-200 users (google slow to update).

They play the game.

Most of them play it at least once, and a good number of them play it a second and third time.

A handful of them play it 8-10 times on a single day.

A tiny handful of them play it again the next day.

One or two of them have played it for 3 days straight.

The poor quality text in the store page and so on doesn't seem to be an impediment to downloads - from what I can see most of the userbase is not of an English speaking background anyway.

But yes...re:making a 'game 2' - I'm thinking of it....on and off...the actual game doesn't need a lot of changes...I have some ideas of how it could change but most of them just add a layer of complexity that is completely unnecessary.

To those who said 'he doesn't care enough to fix it' - you are partially right. When I released other games that were much higher quality and left them on sale for over a year and ended up with only 1 sale per month that is a real demotivator...makes you think why the hell should I spend a lot of effort making something better quality when quality doesn't seem to impact sales in any way shape or form (beyond a point)....

On the other hand...I have a day job, I have every day life stuff outside of work that I do other than programming so I don't always have the time to spend on making lots and lots of changes.

From what I can tell though my users do enjoy it.

I see a number of my users have played it 14 and 15 times over several days...if I've made someone happy for a little while that is sufficient for me...I enjoy entertaining my users with a game...even if it is not the most polished of experiences someone actually enjoys it..which is pleasant to me.

Derron(Posted June) [#43]
[quote]makes you think why the hell should I spend a lot of effort making something better quality when quality doesn't seem to impact sales in any way shape or form (beyond a point)..../quote]

Because you like to make people happy you should also spend time on polishing it. Especially as you get used to the look of your creation you need to work on this (and listen to others). Same for game difficulty and eg. input handling.

And yes. I too mostly code my games to give the about 500 active players a good time. So I understand the motivation. If one blames some gfx and others then support that opinion I try to improve that portion. Luckily for many things the "mass" seems to like the current implementation :-)

Bye
Ron