Download stats for Blitz3D and BlitzMax

Community Forums/Common Room/Download stats for Blitz3D and BlitzMax

skidracer(Posted May) [#1]
I know, Blitz3D and BlitzMax should have been separated at birth...

Monkey free blog post here:

http://nitrologic.blogspot.co.nz/2017/05/blitz-legacy.html

Derron(Posted May) [#2]
Guests online are most probably search engine crawlers/spiders.

i sometimes have over 100 of them in my forums...at the same time. They belong to Webservices I never heard of (no googlebots or so...they only come in small amounts visiting my forum).

If you listed IPs of these guests I guess many of them share some IP portions.

Bye
Ron

Grisu(Posted May) [#3]
Good to see that they are still alive.

skidracer(Posted May) [#4]
Ron, I did some work on the bot identifiers which more than halved current rate of recognised visitors and was happy after manually checking IP randomness that the guests number reflected pretty close unique human visitors (backed up by alexa ratings).

However, I am still unsure / curious.

Derron(Posted May) [#5]
Maybe certain forum threads are often visited. Apache logs and awstats will tell :-)

As long it is no "zombie" army (infected internet devices) auto-scanning for security-holes (odd payload in the uri requests) everything should be okay.
I also added like 30 ip ranges I identify as bots or spammer source (they try to post something but most often are stopped by a site-specific-captcha).

Surely of interest for you are the entry points to the site (what are the people looking for) and maybe what domains "not from search engines coming"-usery are using (to redirect that co.nz- to that domain :-)).

Bye
Ron

degac(Posted May) [#6]
The first screenshot is from itch.io, so I suppose they are 'direct download', right?

Just for curiosity, there's a separate indication for BlitzMax and Blitz3d?

Floyd(Posted May) [#7]
Interesting stuff. I am astounded to see a letter from 1995, on paper rather than electronic.

I had a modem (300 baud) at home by about 1985, but used them earlier at school.

Derron(Posted May) [#8]
Also the line

* TED should have a scrollbar for the label list.

could be one of todays suggestions (if monkey supported labels).

bye
Ron

skidracer(Posted May) [#9]
degac, in that itch.io graph Blitz3D is light red, BlitzMax dark red. As with most stats concerning the two they are pretty even split (with exception of google search in which Blitz3D is far more popular, perhaps as it never had it's own domain name).

floyd, as we were located on opposite corner of planet from our primary market fax was essential part of the business in the 90's. I ran GPFax on the Amiga for transmission and a variety of dedicated machines through the decade for reception. I also have a lot of hand written letters to Acid Software that make for interesting reading although the first paragraph typically starts as a request for Blitz User Magazine back issues.

LineOf7s(Posted May) [#10]
I'm curious as to the meaning of this first bit:
Requests for BlitzPlus continue to fall on deaf ears. RIP BlitzPlus...

Have I missed something? Requests for what, exactly?

skidracer(Posted May) [#11]
About once a month I get a request for a BlitzPlus download link and I need to explain BlitzMax with MaxGUI replace BlitzPlus.

Even though, as Red October would explain patiently if he were still with us, they don't. That guy loved BlitzPlus.

degac(Posted May) [#12]
@Skid: thanks for the answer.

These are interesting numbers. It seems there's a lot of interest in these two products (Blitz3d surely has the advantage of the 3d engine).

GfK(Posted May) [#13]
That Wormage "Andy" bloke sounds like a pain in the arse. Coming in here, thinking he's somebody, demanding this and that....

:D

LineOf7s(Posted May) [#14]
About once a month I get a request for a BlitzPlus download link and I need to explain BlitzMax with MaxGUI replace BlitzPlus.

Even though, as Red October would explain patiently if he were still with us, they don't. That guy loved BlitzPlus.

Is this link on the Accounts -> Product Updates page no good? It seems to work okay. Or would you just rather people didn't have BlitzPlus for some reason?

skidracer(Posted May) [#15]
My reason is newcomers should chose BlitzMax over BlitzPlus for support, quality and future proofing.

LineOf7s(Posted May) [#16]
Fair enough. :)

Matty(Posted May) [#17]
Really - I still use blitzplus for all my testing and prototyping...Never realised that blitzplus was recommended against now.

skidracer(Posted May) [#18]
This is about newcomers, you did notice the BlitzPlus forums have all been archived???

okee(Posted May) [#19]
That letter from Andy Davidson is a nice piece of history to have