Android Game - Blades and Beasts

Community Forums/Common Room/Android Game - Blades and Beasts

Matty(Posted May) [#1]
Hi folks,

I released a game on the app store for $1 last night - it is a fantasy rpg, very lightweight, for mobile...personally I like it quite a lot..I've been playing it for the past week or so and I enjoy it.

It has quests, monsters, treasure, a few different story lines that get told a bit like a poem each time you start the game, all the graphics bar the font are my own....

I got some ideas from the collaborative rpg thread that I was in with Rooster earlier (Rooster - I will have to get back on to the other game again!)

Link

Picture

Matty(Posted May) [#2]
Here are 10 promo codes for free access to the first 10 users:

{removed - no one was interested so I removed them}

Matty(Posted May) [#3]
It is an open world sort of game in a sense - designed with the limited mobile interface in mind.

When I play it I have a couple of different 'modes of play' going through my head...

Sometimes I try and get as powerful as I can to take on the most powerful monsters.

Sometimes I try and see how far i can get across the environment and find the most impressive monster I can (I haven't found the dragon yet)

Sometimes I try and progress the story line and see how it goes, where it goes and so on.

Othertimes I try and complete as many quests as possible.

AdamStrange(Posted May) [#4]
Matty you are 90% the way there.
Here's what you need to do to make that extra 10%

- top line graphics look like they have been scaled up from something tiny - they look blurred
- top like numbers not entered vertically to graphics
- ok button side edges look like a mouse has nibbled them
- ok button font sort looks wrong?
- people graphics have white halo round them with some pure white pixels visible
- 'king' graphic poking out the bottom of the scroll, and not centered.
- scroll background not clear with thin white font on top

Matty(Posted May) [#5]
Thanks Adam....I'm going to continue working on it.

Matty(Posted May) [#6]

Matty(Posted May) [#7]
It's hard to have a hope in hell of getting a download when an exact title search finds my app ten pages down among stuff like this:

Frustrated by google.

AdamStrange(Posted May) [#8]
ignoring all the frustration by google.
- the first this to note is the icon: it looks blurred - remember what I said about first impressions?
- the second is how it is presented on a white background. that is not how apps are now shown. is is usually for them to be on some form of rounded rectangle.
looking above sharpe corners look not so good, small corners also not so good, too round (hard mining trucks) not to good, but (ninja assassin) looks to be the right shape.

so... take the shape of the ninja assassin icon with a gradient lighter in the middle stronger to the edges and then put your knight (in high resolution) i think we are possibly talking 512x512 here?

That should at least make you icon not stand out in a bad way - and gives you the opportunity to do some artwork. scale the knight up and use it as a guide...

Matty(Posted May) [#9]
Thanks...will work on the icon some more just in case Google ever decides to put my app in a more appropriate place!

Matty(Posted May) [#10]
Replaced the icon (it will take a few moments to come through into Google play store)

here it is...it is not blurred but it is still a little jaggy I know...I'm still learning the ins and outs of my wacom tablet....and gaining skill....

AdamStrange(Posted May) [#11]
yep, round the corner a bit more. you could even make the figure a little bigger possibly clipping the feet.

Matty(Posted May) [#12]
Thanks Adam. Nice to hear positive feedback.

AdamStrange(Posted May) [#13]
;)

Matty(Posted May) [#14]
Actually - forgive my foolish comments in the other thread...with the changes Adam suggested, and some patience on my part, and some more changes to the store page I've managed to acquire approximately 1 user every 2 hours for the last 24 hours....12 users in 24 hours...and it seems fairly consistent which is nice....if this keeps up it will be a nice little bit of supplementary income on the side....

My metrics reports tells me how often people play and whether people are playing.

I don't record anything personal, just a timestamp that gets used to identify a user and a date. (Users are identified by a random number which is really just the milliseconds counter on their device which is stored as an 'id' - unlikely to be duplicated)

http://mattiesgames.com/rpg/overlandmetrics.php

It is not unusual for a mobile game to be played once or twice and then not played again...seems to be quite common from my experience with both my own games and others.