Why do I feel like I need to do everything my self so it will be Good.

Community Forums/Common Room/Why do I feel like I need to do everything my self so it will be Good.

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#1]
I must share this feeling..

Im so frustrated that almost on each application I encounter
Im never 100% pleased.. not even 80%.

It make me upset that teams of smart people can miss little things while doing genius things at the same time..

Since I cant do everything by my self due to some limitations..
Im left with my frustration..

Example: I downloaded Mulab a program for music editing..
and I dont see the option for quantize your playing in real time..
and on the other hand I see an amazing app that got ruined by missing minor things..

I see it everywhere.. and it pisses me off. and sometime I write angry letters
to the company involved..

How can you be so dumb and on the same time so Genius.

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#2]
The sad truth is, if you made something 100% amazing, why would you ever buy another application? Also what is 100% to you, could be 80% to another person and vice versa. Sadly we don't live in a perfect world.

Naughty Alien(Posted May) [#3]
Wellll...I guess you are describing economy hidden behind tech product...you know...some new revolutionary thing for new version....something 'never seen before'... or in short...to charge customer more, for a very same thing...

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#4]
yea you are right Enay but what Im talking about are basic stuff that are found on other similar softwares..

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#5]

I dont see the option for quantize your playing in real time..

Is that really basic stuff? Sounds pretty complex to me.

col(Posted May) [#6]
I guess if the designers were looking ahead then they would make their system(s) extensible by adding plugin functionality of some sort. A robust plugin system can help keep software up to date for a very long time.

GfK(Posted May) [#7]
It's the reason Apple release so many iPhones. What they're selling now, is largely the technology they could have given us six to eight years ago. But by drip-feeding the tech leaves them more scope to sell the same product over and over and make more money. It's good business - especially for a company who could offer up a massive, steaming dogpile, stick an Apple badge on top and people would still fight each other for it.

xlsior(Posted May) [#8]
It's the reason Apple release so many iPhones. What they're selling now, is largely the technology they could have given us six to eight years ago. But by drip-feeding the tech leaves them more scope to sell the same product over and over and make more money.

No, the delay is because they have to wait for Samsung to release something new first so they can copy it and release something that's almost as good two years later.

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#9]
Lol xlsior
And enay, they have quantizs option in mulab but only after playing.
So no. Its not hard to do.

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#10]
I take it back Enay.. its not a matter of opinion.
There is good and bad designes and concepts..

xlsior(Posted May) [#11]
here is good and bad designes and concepts..

True, but a lot of those are very subjective.

You may think a game sucks if it's in 2D and wish for a 3D version, while at the same time I think most 3D games suck and wish they'd stick to 2D. You can't please everyone all the time.

Some people demand a super-immersive game takes a very long time to play and finish, while others prefer something that you can play for very short bursts.

Some people want a game that slowly ramps up difficulty levels over extended gameplay, while others want to be thrown straight into the action.

Some people like the whole leveling up and grinding, while others want to get rid of all the 'busywork'

Some people love open-ended world concepts, while others rather have a more limited exposure to the game world but have the 'director' steer them towards the parts that are actually relevant to the gameplay instead of wandering around in irrelevant scenery. Neither is inherently wrong of course, but many people will feel like the other approach is.

Sometimes programmers may try something new and have a type of gameplay that doesn't quite work out, or is not optimal. They can either scrap the whole thing and forget it ever happens, or they may end up finishing it anyway and trying to sell it to at least recoup some of their investments.

And yes, there are a lot of games that are a bit rough around the edges with certain things that could be polished a bit more or <whatever>, but in the end the creators do have to make a decision to actually SHIP. It's diminishing returns: if we spend a few more months polishing this game it will undoubtedly look better, but they may end up spending an extra $200,000 in salaries for the programmers/art people/whatever, which is a HUGE cost if that extra polishing would result in a dozen extra sales. At some point the game becomes "good enough", and it is just that -- good enough.

It's a bit of a catch-22 of course -- but when you think about it, it's hardly surprising.

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#12]
I was more talking about application rather than games Xlsior..
Its not that Im complaining on everything.
You can always add or improve..
But what I dont get is big sites or big applications that misses or intentionally misses important stuff.

Like today I wanted to download from Github the rtmidi.mod
and I had to download the whole Bah.mod.
Why?
Why are they doing this?
And If I missed something, why Is it must to be so complicated..

Another example.. Facebook!

many times I enter Facebook and I get post from 3 days ago..
whats so hard in keeping a leaner timeline?

I really dont get it..

on the other hand, many things are done properly.. and its not a matter of opinion..

And the same note I want to complain of a deletion of a new topic I made about my music making application being deleted from the ShowCase forum..

I know it was a pointless post.. but Yet.. why delete?
I was intending to post pictures of progress..

Rick Nasher(Posted May) [#13]
You are soooo right. Hate that I have to use 1001 applications in order to get to an end result that's sort of vaguely delivering what I want.

At work it's the same:
The application that was going to replace all the other old ones didn't live up to it's task, so after 4 years of updates, kludges and workarounds we're now stuck with even more cripple applications to fix the new and improved AIO application.

It's sad. Computers should adapt to us, not the other way round.

Basically it's happening cause most programmers don't really have a clue what's needed, only does what's being told or think is being told and management structures are oblivious to what their coders are doing and what is required really. Everyone/every team specializes in their own task but fails to have an oversight and people who should have that, do neither and are too far from ground level/real world to know anything. End result leaves much to be desired.

Time for some serious AI to have a go at it, see what that will lead to(hopefully not worse). ;-)

xlsior(Posted May) [#14]
Like today I wanted to download from Github the rtmidi.mod
and I had to download the whole Bah.mod.
Why?
Why are they doing this?
And If I missed something, why Is it must to be so complicated..

Dependencies?

Another example.. Facebook!

many times I enter Facebook and I get post from 3 days ago..
whats so hard in keeping a leaner timeline?

I really dont get it..

Facebook should offer a good customer experience, that's true -- but you are forgetting something really important here: YOU are NOT their customer.

You are the product they are selling to their REAL customers, the advertisers. Those are the people that actually give them real life money, that's what keeps the lights on, and that's what made the founders billionaires. Everything they do is aimed at keeping those actual customers (the advertisers) happy. If they can please you along the way they might, but in the end all they have to do is keep the advertisers happy, as long as they don't lose too many facebookers along the way.

and keep in mind: this does not just apply to facebook, this applies to ALL 'free' internet websites. Google. Youtube. Bing. Myspace. Blogspot. Yahoo mail. etc.
Their features and navigation is greatly optimized to make them advertiser money, NOT to make your life easier. It's just a bonus if those two separate goals happen to align from time to time.

Some seemingly un-optimized extra navigation clicks = more opportunities to show you ads. An un-optimized timeline = more opportunities to show you ads. Some 'odd' seemingly unrelated recommendations = more opportunities to show you ads. And if they don't show you ads, then your response and reaction to the choices they presented you with allow them to learn more about human behavior and you behavior in particular, which means that they learn more and more about their demographics which in turn they can cash in by picking 'better' ads to lead to more click-throughs and sales and thereby more kickbacks/profit.

So.. How does <some> choice benefit either the advertisers or your alien benefactors' interests, because they sure as hell aren't giving things away to do you a personal favor. A lot of odd choices will make a lot more sense if you look at it from that perspective.

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#15]
Xlsior , im not complaining about ads..
im complaining about horrible user interface and the logic of Facebook

about Dependencies.. sorry im not aware what it means.. (im probably not a pro)

xlsior(Posted May) [#16]
Xlsior , im not complaining about ads..
im complaining about horrible user interface and the logic of Facebook

Like I said, the sometimes seemingly backwards logic can either steer your behaviour into a desired pattern, or allow them to learn more about you, both of which will allow them to make more money of you in the long run -- Especially in cases where there's a "obvious" solution to the "problem" you experience, it very well may be intentional, otherwise one of their 17,000+ employees would likely have fixed it by now.

about Dependencies.. sorry im not aware what it means.. (im probably not a pro)

Not all of the mods are stand-alone, a bunch of them depend on others to be present one for them to function. Only way to really ensure that you always have what you need is to grab them all.

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#17]
I see xlsior...
All what you said makes pure sense..
But now that you've said it im far more pissed over Facebook.
Maybe a little nuke will be a good reply to what I feel about them now.
After all they want to learn about me...

The dependencies thing, i get it now.
I did suspect about this reason but i wasn't certain that it is that.

Still its my decision should be whether to download a section or not,
Or at least they should note us that this is a dependent section.

TomToad(Posted May) [#18]
It isn't just facebook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pFX2P7JLwA

Kryzon(Posted May) [#19]
Recording MIDI Events

[...]
Here you can define, among others things, whether the recorded events should be automatically quantized.

Emphasis from me.
Taken from http://www.mutools.com/info/docs/mulab/recording.html

If you Google search for "MuLab quantize", it's also the first result.

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#20]
Kryzon. There are two states of things being done wrongly.
Either they are not done at all or they are very hard to find/figure.
In reason app the quantiz option is very easy to find.
I did search on Google but before i search i expect it to be easy..

Also, how do you turn off velocity of your midi keyboard.
I couldn't find either.

They did some mistakes in mulab and i sent them a feedback to improve.

After all its a great app or wont bother to start woth

Hardcoal(Posted May) [#21]
Tomtoad

I have no prob this days that they gather info about me.
Fair enough..

I have prob that they or if they intentionally annoy me to piss me off and to see how i she'll react..

Actually i love that they send me targeted commercials..
It saves me time looking for stuff.

Also.. I never ever register my authentic information on the Internet
Unless its essential like ebay and so..

xlsior(Posted May) [#22]
I have no prob this days that they gather info about me.
Fair enough..

I have prob that they or if they intentionally annoy me to piss me off and to see how i she'll react..

And over the years facebook has been caught doing exactly that. Recently they got a bunch of bad press for trying to detect and meddle with depressed teenagers. Can't find the original article anymore, but here's one that mentions it:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/facebook-says-it-doesnt-target-vulnerable-teens-with-ads-but-it-has-studied-them-2017-05-01

Even if an ads is for something I want, I still won't click on it on principal -- you're just rewarding annoying behaviour.

RemiD(Posted May) [#23]
@TomToad>>interesting video, thanks for the link
What do you think he means by "millions of websites have google trackers on their websites", maybe google analytics ?

(when i was working on web marketing, i created my own tracking system with php in order to avoid giving too much information to google...)

xlsior(Posted May) [#24]
What do you think he means by "millions of websites have google trackers on their websites", maybe google analytics ?

Not just that, in 2007 Google acquired DoubleClick, which was probably the largest user tracking & ad serving companies at that time.