So, what's been occuring?

Community Forums/Common Room/So, what's been occuring?

GfK(Posted May) [#1]
It's been a while since I posted, up to yesterday - 2+ apparently.

Monkey 2, with 3D?!
Blitzmax NG - how's that going?

Anything else of interest?

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#2]
MonkeyX1 skid and some other did try to get a buyout going but apparently it didn't get far.

X2 does seem to be slowly gaining momentum which is good.

NG is slowly moving forwards too iirc Brucey said he was looking at IPV6 support now.

kfprimm(Posted May) [#3]
I've got my own "NG" project going with Blitz3D: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=107324

I can compile & run a few of the samples (driver, dragon, castle, etc) on my Macs (64 bit, incidentally). Still a lot to do to ensure 100% compatibility but the results so far are exciting.

Matty(Posted May) [#4]
It's good to see you post again.

RemiD(Posted May) [#5]
So what was this "better place" where you had gone ?

I suppose that it was not so good after all ? (since you are back here, on the worse place than the previous place, which was better than this place, if i understand correctly what you wrote and if what you wrote was what you meant) (just kidding, and rambling a little)

GfK(Posted May) [#6]
Away from programming and away from forums, keeping business and personal life very, very separate.

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#7]
We still banter about tech and stuff, and every now and again, the odd topic gets locked or deleted.

A few more of our old skool regulars got shadow banned for wrong think. Mark's Patreon for Monkey reached the "3D" incentive so now he's apparentely working on the 3D module for Monkey. I hear it's going well.

One of our long term guys, Ploppy, sadly that guy passed away. Even Red October passed away, that guy with the submarines. Not sure if you were here when that happened. But still, I guess we're all mortal. This site is nearing up for 20 years, a lot can happen in that time.

Away from programming and away from forums, keeping business and personal life very, very separate.

I noticed you deleted me from your twitter, or you deleted your twitter account. I can't remember which. :) So what have you been up too? Hope you are doing well man.

So what was this "better place" where you had gone ?

Unity, perhaps.

LineOf7s(Posted May) [#8]
This site is nearing up for 20 years

Okay, now THAT makes me feel old.

GfK(Posted May) [#9]
Just looked and my oldest post here is from 14 years ago. But that's when this incarnation of the Blitz site appeared, there were others before that. Yeah, old. :/

I noticed you deleted me from your twitter, or you deleted your twitter account. I can't remember which. :)
At one point I unfollowed a load of accounts that hadn't been active for a long time. Nothing personal if yours was one of them - I honestly don't remember. I've since ditched twitter completely, gone back a year later, then binned it again, along with Facebook. Social media is counterproductive on so many levels. For one, it gives a voice to many people who really should learn to shut the hell up.

So what have you been up too? Hope you are doing well man.

We're doing fine. Split off into graphic design almost two years back and that's going OK. We invested a ton of capital into equipment to make customised t-shirts/hoodies etc and it's all been a huge time-sink so I don't get much time to code any more. I did half a game in Unity, then realised I knew jack about getting it to the places it would need to be, i.e. Steam. I approached potential publishers about it but never even got a reply (one of which was the now defunct Mastertronic, so, dodged a bullet there!), so the whole thing went on ice.

Crime Solitaire 3 is half-done (Blitzmax, not Unity) but again, I don't get much time to work on it so that's just a case of "it'll be done when it's done".

Bit bad about Red October and Ploppy. I think I heard about Red October, but not the other guy... I'm not really familiar with him.

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#10]

Social media is counterproductive on so many levels. For one, it gives a voice to many people who really should learn to shut the hell up.

It's been invaded by normies. Once the main stream masses gets into what was once good, of course it would get ruined. Sad.
Don't worry about twitter, I don't use it either, nor facebook. As you say, absolute waste of time.

Steam. I approached potential publishers about it but never even got a reply

I know how you feel. Every man and his dog is making games now, quite literally hundreds of games appearing just on steam alone every single day. It's not like it's 2001 and Kooldog anymore...
If I wasn't employed in games programming in Japan, I wouldn't probably be even programming at all. When I go home and at weekends, I don't even turn on a PC with Windows, let alone programming...
Even if you make something good, it's just going to swallowed in a wave of shit released the following, or worse plagarised by a bigger company. So why even bother.

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#11]
I don't really have the time to code anymore I used to make time for it but now I see loads and loads of people pushing games to wherever they can none of which sell much.

I agree social media has just turned into a info farm, why the he'll do j need to know that someone is at the docs or shopping. It's got stupid now.

I've taken up writing a book in my spare time now and I'm much more happier doing that.

Naughty Alien(Posted May) [#12]
..yup..as i mentioned in some of the threads before..i have put game dev on hold for a while..doing blast with hardware design/firmware including money making..it truly feels like making games some time back when things were 'normal' and not crowded by hordes of 'gimme da codez' "developers"..

GfK(Posted May) [#13]
For me, launching a half-decent game on iOS is like throwing a gold coin into a cesspit. It's in there, and it's lovely and shiny, but do you really want to dig through five tonnes of festering excrement to get it? Most people don't.

Greenlight has done the same for Steam. It seems quantity is king now, not quality.

Blitzplotter(Posted May) [#14]
I don't really have the time to code anymore I used to make time for it but now I see loads and loads of people pushing games to wherever they can none of which sell much.

Same here EdzUp, I keep going to try and code - the closest I seem to get is trying out other peeps stuff in the code archives. Whilst I've still got my GPS training analysis things on a (VERY) slow burn - they lose appeal when you're ill and can't seem to train.

I've taken up writing a book in my spare time now and I'm much more happier doing that.

Interesting you've said that, I was just commenting to the wife, it'd be nice to give up the day job and write a book - what genre are you focusing on?

@NA, yep, I've seen some of the stuff you've chatted about and it does seem interesting.

I still marvel at what can be done with Blitz3D however... and now 3D is emerging within Monkey2, 3D in a browser - sweet.

Neuro(Posted May) [#15]
I created a simple VR app the other day.