Starcraft 1 now free to play

Community Forums/Common Room/Starcraft 1 now free to play

Pakz(Posted May) [#1]
A while ago starcraft was made free to play by blizzard. It has the expansion in it also.

I installed it on two different systems (win 10) and it seems to all work as it should. Downloading and installing is simple. No registration or anything.

I tried a number of terran missions and it was as nice as I remembered. The cheats also work.

Noticed they did not remove the original quirks like the ncv sometimes getting stuck after building. Pathfinding is also not that advanced.

You can get it on the blizzard site.

xlsior(Posted May) [#2]
I've tried it, and although it runs very well (of course), I did find that is hasn't aged will -- it's lacking a ton of features that I've gotten accustomed to in more modern RTS games.

That said: I suspect that the upcoming HD remake of SC 1 will bring it more in line with the others like SC2.

coffeedotbean(Posted May) [#3]
I'll give the HD remake a blast, I wont pay $60 for it though so I hope they get the pricing right. I lost count to have many forums and ever so slightly dodgy sites I visited at the time to get working multiplayer keys for SC1 so I could play yet me ~~~~$$$$$$NORUSH$$$$$$~~~ maps.

xlsior(Posted May) [#4]
I'll give the HD remake a blast, I wont pay $60 for it though so I hope they get the pricing right. I lost count to have many forums and ever so slightly dodgy sites I visited at the time to get working multiplayer keys for SC1 so I could play yet me ~~~~$$$$$$NORUSH$$$$$$~~~ maps.

I bought each of the three chapters of SC2 on sale for $19.99 e.a. just a few months after their individual releases... If you keep your eyes open, I'm sure that SC1 HD will have similar deals.

(SC2 requires always-only battle.net for authentication, even for single player or LAN games -- I'm sure that they'll do the same for SC 1 HD)

xlsior(Posted May) [#5]

I bought each of the three chapters of SC2 on sale for $19.99 e.a. just a few months after their individual releases... If you keep your eyes open, I'm sure that SC1 HD will have similar deals.

(SC2 requires always-only battle.net for authentication, even for single player or LAN games -- I'm sure that they'll do the same for SC 1 HD)