Boardband Speed?

Community Forums/Common Room/Boardband Speed?

Hotshot2005(Posted May) [#1]
what links do I look for UK Boardband speed in my area?

I have search google but there is loads of them and dont know which one is good one thought

xlsior(Posted May) [#2]
What are you asking?

If you want to find out the speed of your existing connection, try http://speedtest.net

If you're looking to see what your options are for signing up with various broadband companies -- check the local yellow pages, or ask some locals. :-?

Hotshot2005(Posted May) [#3]
My Sky boardband is suppose be 38MB but in my area is 24MB :(

thanks for help Xlsior :)

xlsior(Posted May) [#4]
Keep in mind that the rated speed is on their own network, not to a random internet website -- there's too many variables at play there, including the bandwidth/congestion of the actual destination server itself. If you are using BT, look specifically for a BT speedtest server, like https://www.bt.com/help/home/broadband/speedtest/
If you feel like you're not getting the speed you should, the first point of contact should really be your internet provider itself.

But anyway, there are a LOT of things that can reduce your speed.

1) If you are connecting over Wi-Fi: your wifi speed is most likely the bottleneck there, especially if you have neighbors whose wifi router is using the same channel as yours. The standard 2.4GHz wifi bands are really congested and have a lot of interference since literally everyone has a wireless router at home now. You can use wifi analyzer on Android to determine the best channel with least interference to use.

2) Using a really old modem that's not capable of negotiating the higher speeds. (cable modems bundle a number of channels, if you have an older generation modem it may only support 4 or 8 instead of 16 channels). (Right now, Time Warner Cable is on the receiving end of a class-action lawsuit in New York because they had literally hundreds of thousands of customers who they sold internet packages at a specific speed while they knew that the routers they had provided them weren't capable of negotiating those speeds)

3) Have sub-standard wiring, either coaxial or ethernet.

4) Coaxial connectors in the wallplate can 'burn out', which can cause a lot of interference and greatly reduce their effectiveness. Sounds stupid, but has happened twice to me over the past decade where the cable co. had to send out a tech to replace the wallplate connectors and all is fine again)

5) You may have a crappy router

6) You may have a decent router, but traffic shaping may be enabled to the wrong speed, artificially restricting you

7) your account may have been provisioned on a lower speed than it should be. You can ask your ISP to verify your account configuration, and reset it if necessary. I used to get conflicting info on my account, with sales claiming I should be getting 60Mbps while the tech people showed 30Mbps. Eventually got the 60 I should after having it escalated through the sales dept.

8) You may other things taking up some of your bandwidth: If someone else if watching netflix in the next room, of course your speedtest is going to show lower results since netflix is taking up some of it as well

9) You could have a neighbor piggy-backing over your wifi, taking up some of your bandwidth. (In your router, check the list of connected devices and see if there is anything you don't recognize. If there is, then it's probably time to change your wifi password. If you don't have one, then you should.)

10) keep in mind: If you fully saturate your uplink speed, you typically see a great reduction in your download speeds as well at those times

11) You could have something running in the background that's generating traffic\, taking up your bandwith. Heck, you may have a virus or your PC was compromised and is sending out spam on behalf of a 'nigerian prince' all day long. (To check : windows task manager -> more details -> Performance -> look for the ethernet/wifi adapter(s), and see if there is any significant network traffic happening there)

10) If you haven't already: try shutting down & restarting your modem + router, and see if that makes any difference.