Windows Crashing

Community Forums/Common Room/Windows Crashing

Hotshot2005(Posted May) [#1]
Before I played the game and click on Driver Booster to updated all the drivers and my graphics chip is updated too

then I played the game then the windows crash with blue screen saying

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

My first thought was

F***_YOURSELF_MIRCSOFT

Sorry for my RANT but seriously I see that so often....is there Solutions to FIXED that for once and all(meaning I dont want ever seen that again!) unless if I try different OS like UBUNTU(which much better than windows for sure!)

Had anyone had this type of issue(THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER)?

My Laptop are

AMD 7300
16GB
AMD R6(that graphics chip itself)

I seem think that the AMD Graphics chip could be problem of crashing from what I mean in THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER on the net :-(

thank you for reading!

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#2]
Before jumping in does it actually tell you the driver which is at fault or just that it's stuck?

If it doesn't tell you I would try a different driver version from AMD by downloading it direct and see if it helps as the latest one could have issues. It wouldn't be the first time.

Hotshot2005(Posted May) [#3]
It doesnt tell me much, other than showing Blue Screen with saying

If you'd like o know more, you can search online later for this error.
THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

When I went to Device Manager and check my graphics chip drivers and it saying it is my Graphics chip is device is up to date which is good things but when I check search on the net about THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER AMD GRAPHICS CHIP as doesnt sound good at all !

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER+AMD+GRAPHICS+CHIP&atb=v55-7_a&ia=web

xlsior(Posted May) [#4]
Driver Booster appears to be a complete piece of crap -- just read the first few reviews here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/403040/Driver_Booster_3_for_STEAM/

(plus apparently they're doing some fishy stuff behind the scenes: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/29681-iobit-steals-malwarebytes-intellectual-property/ )

EdzUp MkII(Posted May) [#5]
I'm wondering if your driver is corrupted in some way try removing the driver and reinstalling from one downloaded from amd themselves.

Hotshot2005(Posted May) [#6]
I have unstalled Driver Booster and OBit too thanks to good advice from Xlsior.

Last night I went to game preference settings and Change from GPU to software Rendering and been playing for 4 hours straight with NO Windows Crashing!

NICE ONE as seem I have solve the problem!

xlsior(Posted May) [#7]
When it comes to drivers, my experience says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;-)

Hotshot2005(Posted May) [#8]
What software do you have on your computer if come to seraching drivers to make sure the computer is up to date and what Antivirus do you used?

I mean on my computer I have

Adwcleaner
Steam (to played pc games)
Chrome
Programming IDE(various stuffs like VS 2017, Blitz 3D and so on)

That about it,

xlsior(Posted May) [#9]
What software do you have on your computer if come to seraching drivers to make sure the computer is up to date and what Antivirus do you used?

I use AVG Free for antivirus, Zonealarm Free as a firewall, plus of course the regular windows updates themselves.

My videocard (AMD Radeon) will periodically check for driver updates through the Radeon software tool, network card has gotten the occasional update as part of the normal windows updates. I have checked the download site of my motherboard manufacturer a few times over the years for updates, but I certainly wouldn't trust some random tool from a Chinese company with questionable ethics to figure out what it thinks I need and install random shit on my PC -- as you've found out yourself, the end result may be "sub-optimal".

(And if you happen to have unknown devices with missing drivers in windows where you have no clue on where to start: Over the years I've found that you can almost always figure out what it is by looking for the manufacturer and device ID's in the windows device manager information, under Details -> Hardware ID's, and looking them up at pcidatabase.com
e.g. a videocard may be listed up in windows as: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6819
pcidatabase will tell me that the vendor (1002) is AMD, and the device (6819) is an AMD Radeon HD 7800 series -- that info will typically be enough to go to the AMD website and download the proper driver, no scammy tools necessary. And if it knows the vendor but not the actual hardware device, there's a good chance that the manufacturer has a driver update tool of their own, which is probably more trustworthy than the magic universal one)