Does anyone have a carpal tunnel?

Community Forums/Common Room/Does anyone have a carpal tunnel?

Yue(Posted May) [#1]
As coders, or a lot of time in front of the pc, some have this syndrome ?, I feel that the fingers of the right hand are falling asleep to me, I did not go to the doctor what I did was to prescribe myself and I even put a ferula, diminished.

Does that have a cure?

EOF(Posted May) [#2]

Rick Nasher(Posted May) [#3]
@Yue:
My father has the same issue. He used to working as a butcher. Due to the hard work(lifting/cutting meat) the muscles in his upper arm, shoulders, back grew too big and would swell up when using them, causing the nerves to get squeezed by the muscles. He got surgery to cut loose the loops holding the nerves in place, but it didn't resolve the issue. On contrary; he got more problems/pains by it. Nevertheless for some surgery appears to work, but my father wouldn't recommend it.

@Jim Brown:
This can be solved by addressing other(mostly larger) muscle groups(it's what most Docs don't tell people). Muscles associated with the pains are overworked and cramp up including other even larger ones around these.

Just use loose dumbbells(not too heavy) and do some moderate exercises with your arms. It relaxes the muscles, strengthens and allows the affected ones to heal. Every day a session of 10 repeats, then a pause as long as 10 repeats. Do this 3 times in a row, so 30 in total(or less, just as much as feels comfortable), then do another type of exercise.
For instance first 30 arm curls, then 30 arm extensions, then 30 lateral raises. Do not overdo it, it should feel as if you can a little bit more.
(Make sure you do a bit of warming up first)

Usually you should see results/relief within 2 weeks, if not: go see your physician.

xlsior(Posted May) [#4]
It's a common problem. Unfortunately, it's a problem that doesn't have a quick fix.

For me, I found years ago that I couldn't really use a wireless mouse: For a while, I switched from a wired microsoft wheelmouse to a wireless microsoft wheelmouse -- so the shape and size was identical, the only difference was the slightly heavier weight of the wireless version (due to the added batteries).

That was enough for my wrist to start hurting all the time. Switched back to the lighter wired mouse, and the pain stopped a few days later as well.

Carpal tunnel and RSI (repetitive strain injury), etc don't really have a cure, other than to stop stressing the same muscles. Some ways to do that:

1) Try using your other hand with the mouse. Will feel unnatural at first, but you'll get used to it. This will keep one hand from getting strained too much.
2) Make sure that your mouse is the right size for your hands. If you have large hands and use a small (laptop?) mouse, you will most likely cramp up your hands holding it.
3) Hold your mouse loosely, don't strain.
4) try to use keyboard shortcuts rather than depending on the mouse for everything
5) If your wrists are the problem, then you could use an ergonomic mouse which may help, e.g.:
Unfortunately, they are pretty expensive

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#5]
It helps to have a good chair and desk and one that is aligned with your posture.

This may seem like a stupid idea, but my advice is to become a "Fidgety person". Become a fidgety arse like me, No I'm serious :)

Unfortunately I suffer from mild ticks, I seem to have a sudden itch somewhere, usually on my back, and I'm always moving my legs around under the desk, or changing my posture frequently, for no apparent reason, half the time I don't even know I'm doing it.

As a result though, even though I'm 38, I've never suffered from any back, neck problems and certainly never carpal tunnel.

That's because I'm frequently doing small exercises to my fingers, hands and wrists all the time, whether I like it or not. The problem is keeping the exact same posture for too long a time, the solution really is to be a fidgety arse :)

Repetitive strain injury can be avoided by doing various other movements inbetween.

I highly recommend getting one of these

That you can have a few second burst on every now and again, like when you're compiling or something.

xlsior(Posted May) [#6]
If you already have RSI/carpal tunnel, I'd think that may actually make it worse...

(tu) ENAY(Posted May) [#7]
Carpal tunnel yes, but RSI. Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I was mostly responding to Rick Nasher's post about back and neck pain.

BlitzMan(Posted May) [#8]
I have it when i take me glasses off.everything looks like a tunnel.:)

gpete(Posted May) [#9]
@BlitzMan- No one here thinks you are carping tho, sorry bout your eyes tho..
the Carp in my neighbors pond have a tunnel to get from one side to the other.