PayPal Donate - fees

Community Forums/Common Room/PayPal Donate - fees

degac(Posted April) [#1]
Hi
this morning I woke up with the mood to be 'generous' (ehm...) so I clicked on the 'donate' button.

And it rises a question: how much of the amount I 'donate' arrives at the recipient?

I read on PayPal but it seems they are a little greed (of course they must live)... but with Patreon I must pay VAT (??? ftfw... I don't buy anything!)... so the only solution I know is PayPal's Donate button.
I hope it is the 'cheaper' way at the end...

markcw(Posted April) [#2]
I think all donations are taxed, so Patreon is no different. If you choose Gift Aid you can claim the tax back but you must be a tax payer to do so. I think the rate is dependent on the country of the donor.

There was a thread about this once: Are Paypal donations taxable?.

(tu) ENAY(Posted April) [#3]
I think originally all of them were tax free, then like all new forms of transaction. Governments get a wind of them and then decide they have to be taxed, even if they are "gifts".
I'm surprised they haven't tried to tax moving money between bank accounts yet, in the UK there is a bedroom tax, so who knows what they might charge next. Your best bet is to push money in Mark Sibly's face (presuming that is where you donated too)

degac(Posted April) [#4]
Well 'money transfer' are controlled... so if I would use a bank to send money to BRL/Mark/anyone... I will be 'tracked' and I would be obliged to clarify why I paid, for what etc. (of course my Government presumes that I'm a bad guy I want to recycle money...)
Even credit-card payments are subject to control.

Mine was just a question to know how much of (for example) 10 USD finish in the pocket of BRL (or anyone else)

Anyone knows of other solution(s)?

(tu) ENAY(Posted April) [#5]

Anyone knows of other solution(s)?

Fly over to his house and give him cash by hand ;)