The Internet has become really annoying

Community Forums/Common Room/The Internet has become really annoying

JoshK(Posted April) [#1]
Have you noticed everything on the internet becoming really annoying? Memes were kind of goofy and crude when they started, because it was just some kid making something that looked awful with MS Paint. Now they are a programmed response. "Oh there's that funny cat, now let me post a comment that is from some video game or movie". It's even coming out into advertising:

Like the whole world is turning into that annoying kid in high school who compulsively quoted movie lines all the time.

Everything on Facebook and LinkedIn is "Epic" and "Brilliant" now. Basic food items can't be mentioned without a lot of fake enthusiasm, like bacon and garlic bread. Yay, carrots! Dude, they are so epic!! I kind of hate adding bacon to anything now because I risk getting the "Oh yeah, gotta have bacon!!!" response.

There are tons of blogs and articles out there about everything under the sun, but they are mostly repeating the same viewpoints. There's no diversity of ideas like you would get by reading books from different countries, from different centuries.

I feel like the whole world is becoming more neurotic and everyone is turning into an old lady who loves "America's Funniest Home Videos". The combination of old ladies and Facebook has been disastrous. It's replacing humor with stupid programmed responses. Oh, there's that funny picture, now I must laugh.

In this huge wash of noise real information is being lost. Anything that could actually be interesting is drowned out by "yay for green beans".

I don't know if everything's getting more annoying or if I am just becoming more normal, but this stuff really bugs me and makes me want to stay off the internet altogether and just read a book. I think this kind of thing changes your thought processes in negative ways. I don't want anyone to ever text me a funny picture again.

RemiD(Posted April) [#2]

There are tons of blogs and articles out there about everything under the sun, but they are mostly repeating the same viewpoints. There's no diversity of ideas like you would get by reading books from different countries, from different centuries.

if you read some discussions on "web marketing" forums, you will understand why : these people are obsessed to "make money online" by rewording the same information, sometimes false or inaccurate, in a different way. Then seo it and put some ads/affiliatelinks in it (then they think : yeah i have a "business")

But on the positive side, you can still find interesting informations in all this mess (generally in user posts/comments/videos, which can then help you to do a search with others words and sometimes find very good stuff). So hey, the web is not all crap. And not all books are great either (especially considering the kindle books trend !)

Neuro(Posted April) [#3]
That cat was quoting a movie?

Rick Nasher(Posted April) [#4]
Yay! Fantastic! Epic! ...and that was of course sarcasm. ;-)
You're obsoletely right: it is quite a menace out there since the average Joe got a computer + companies are taking over the internet.

(tu) ENAY(Posted April) [#5]
I see that JoshK has discovered the Meme War :)

I have to agree with you though, the Internet and its culture is spawning into perceived reality, and it's very weird indeed.

I think it first went mainstream when Hillary Clinton decided to tell everyone that some Green Frog Pepe on the Internet was bad for humanity. Then it's just all kicked off from there.

If Nazi memes drawn in MSPaint text get headlines, it was only a matter of time before everyone would join in.

Even the BBC in England has no clue what's going on and getting fooled by Internet culture with Pepe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOmq-U21pok

If real advertisers are adopting memes, then mankind is doomed, I guess. :)

If I had only thing to tell you, READ THE COMMENTS on that BBC movie. They are fantastic. A work of art even.

EOF(Posted April) [#6]
Millenial snowflake culture is in full swing right now. Which means everything is getting exagerated. Look at how the press are constantly reporting drama queens from "social media" having their daily metldowns. I really can't stand the 'twitter outrage' mob, who ever they are, which engulf the news all the time.

The rest of the internet is an over-flowing cesspit of click bait articles. Rubbish like:
"10 things you never knew about ..."
"15 foods that could save your life."
"I mixed cola and peanuts together. You wouldn't believe what happened next!"

These sites are full of the same stuff. Each 'thing' is on it's own page full of more click-bait articles and ads. By the time you get to the end you learned nothing.

skidracer(Posted April) [#7]

(tu) ENAY(Posted April) [#8]

These sites are full of the same stuff. Each 'thing' is on it's own page full of more click-bait articles and ads. By the time you get to the end you learned nothing.

The current generation, music, movies, games, Internet, it's all RIGHT NOW, and whenever due to smart phones.
If you're angry about anything, first place of call is Twitter to moan about it. Outrage goes live instantly.

"I mixed cola and peanuts together. You wouldn't believe what happened next!"

And getting the attention of people (in general)

Put a cute cat or sexy lady, next to, to advertise absolutely everything. To pander to these people, this is how to get their attention, it's normalised now, and a generation of flip flopping crazy people.
They don't need to learn anything, because everywhere at any time, they can just google it (or not bother)
Nobody reads to the end, or researches things anymore.

This is the future of humanity.

On the other hand, a new generation of idiots means better job security for me / us.

In other news, anybody heard about the country of Kekistan?
It's a new meme thing that is gaining ground, shitposters on the Internet trying to meme a new religion, ethnicity and country into existence, of course kekistani citizens are Pepe frogs.

Just search for it on youtube or read this;-

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/kekistan

This is what our culture has turned into, this is what the next generation do with their spare time. There is already a Kekistan national anthem and flag in circulation.

We're all doomed. :) (I don't even know whether I'm joking anymore)

JoshK(Posted April) [#9]
Right, so the kids post this kind of stuff:

But the business people are doing their own version:

And the old ladies have their own version:

I know a lot of people who spend HOURS each day reading through this stuff. If you go into any coffee shop everyone is "socializing" silently on Facebook. Everyone's addicted and it's replacing real life.

All these "inside jokes" and stuff that isn't actually funny remind me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6FPWHF8uYs&t=3m0s

EOF(Posted April) [#10]
If you go into any coffee shop everyone is "socializing" silently on Facebook
Too true. All they are doing too is wallowing in other peoples dirty laundry. They also have the attention span of a nat and can't stop swiping through trash loads of Insta-GAG photos of all their (equally dim) 'friends' posting duck face number pose number 645 of 290,000.
I feel like the only one who steered well clear of Feces Book. It's the Jeremy Kyle / Jerry Springer of trash internet.

Blitzplotter(Posted April) [#11]
At first I thought JoshK has turned into Grumpy old man mode already....

But, I confess, Facebook can be used as a useful tool for keeping in touch. However you cannot replace taking the effort to see your friends, go for a walk with them, have a laugh with them. The people who like to post images of 'look at my dinner, I can cook stuff....'. Where is society going?