MaxIDE stops working when I try to add fonts in Ubuntu 16.04 x86 (stop loading)

Community Forums/Bug Reports/MaxIDE stops working when I try to add fonts in Ubuntu 16.04 x86 (stop loading)

rickychus(Posted 2017) [#1]
Hi,
I have a problem with the blitzmax IDE running on Ubuntu 16.04.
I installed it and it works fine (build, compile and sound works), until I install new fonts on ubuntu (for Openoffice and others).
Immediately of updating the cache of the fonts of Ubuntu, the IDE stops loading ...
I have done many tests and only happens when I try to add new fonts on Ubuntu.
HELP!!!
And thanks :D

Derron(Posted 2017) [#2]
Did you change fonts in MaxIDE ?

If yes: does your locale (read "country") use "," for floats? So is 1.23 written as "1,23" instead of "1.23" ? If yes, then this is the culprit.
In that case: open the maxide-configuration-file and replace the "12,00000" (or whatever fontsize was used) with "12.00000". There are 2 or 4 occourences in the file. On each "configuration saving" you would bork MaxIDE start.

bye
Ron

rickychus(Posted 2017) [#3]
Thanks, I'll be trying tonight !!!

rickychus(Posted 2017) [#4]
it does not work.
I've been doing several tests. I do not need to rebuild the font cache, just paste a folder with my fonts causes the IDE to stop loading ... If I delete my fonts folder, the Ide works again...
Any suggestions, other than not installing extra fonts? :(

rickychus(Posted 2017) [#5]
I have not found a solution to this problem ...
Maybe the Blitzmax IDE has a limit on the amount of fonts it can load when starting... Or maybe in my fonts I have some that is defective...
Anyway, I put all my fonts in a folder called ".fonts" in my personal folder. When I need to use Blitzmax, I rename this folder. Load the IDE and rename the folder again to ".fonts"... It is not practical but it works...
Regards.-

skidracer(Posted 2017) [#6]
How big is your fonts folder archived? Is it possible to share it online to help us reproduce this issue.

Derron(Posted 2017) [#7]
I do not know the maxide sources now - but is maxide really scanning the fonts - or is it the "maxgui" part?

@ defective fonts
Yes, you might have some "odd" fonts. Instead of sharing all:
- rename .fonts to oldfonts
- create .fonts
- move the first 20 fonts fron "oldfonts" to ".fonts"
- start maxide
- - still works? copy the next 20 and start maxide again ...
- - no longer works? move back the latest 20 and just move 10 and start maxide

Also starting maxide from within a console might report some issues of a library.

bye
Ron