Code archives/Miscellaneous/blitz3D like syntax to c++

This code has been declared by its author to be Public Domain code.

Download source code

blitz3D like syntax to c++ by MusicianKool2010
Well this will make coding in c++ easier. Still not sure on how to make c++ dll's for expanding blitz3d, as that is the primary goal here. But for now it will translate the basic syntax of Blitz3D to c++. and will provide a good reference to what your code would look like in c++. It's about 90% complete, but it might not go any farther then that, as I'm stumped on some of blitz3d's type handling. I'm using Dev-C++ for testing the c++ code, I have not tested on other C++ compilers. So features:

[PLEASE READ THE BELOW]
regular c++ case sensitive for all commands(not really but just to be on the safe side make everything lowercase! )
and variables(this is a must - 'a' is not the same as 'A' in c++ variable naming as well as 'ab' <> 'Ab' <> 'aB' <> 'AB')
c++ basic math is good '+=' '-=' '*=' '/=' '++' '--'
To use more complex math functions use '#include <math.h>' at the begining of the '.ob' file.
The syntax is about the same as blitz3d for most if not all c++ math functions, the only thing that is different is you need to have a return convention for them ie:
;blitz3D cos example
a# = Cos(n)

;translator example
local a#
a = float cos(n)

you can inline c++ code with:
[cpp]
// put c++ code here
[cpp]
;this will also work
[c++]
// put c++ code here
[c++]

Limitations:
No mulitiple lines of code on a single line outside a c++ code block not only is it bad coding its not translated corectly:
x = 1:y = 2:z = 3:for i = 1 to 10:print x:next

should be
x = 1
y = 2
z = 3
for i = 1 to 10
	print x
next

the local statement in blitz3D allows assigning values to variables. that is not true with this translator.
local x=1,y=2,words$="what is a word?",flo#=1.2323201

should be
local x%,y,words$,flo#
x = 1
y=2
words= "what is a word?"
flo =1.2323201

The translator only works within class/end class and function/ end function scope. so globals need to be declared in c++ syntax and outside of any function and class.
int i;
string k;
float x;

'type / end type' works the same as 'class / end class'
any field accesor like blitz3D's 'f\variable' is changed to 'f.variable' .

Things I haven't figured out.
Insert, after, before, first, last, for f.foo = each foo
converting strings to integers/floats and vis versa.

If I remember more limitations or uses I will list them:
Please tell me of any bugs or features that should be added!

test2.ob

Translates to 'test2.cpp':

The source (put this in the same folder that test2.ob is in):

Comments

_PJ_2010
A lot of my coding practicve follows the requirements here, Hopefully I've kept to my own rules enough to give this a try :)

I'm sure it could be really handy in some cases, though pure C++ could perhaps be a lot better than translated B3D stuff, at least this couyld get most of the groundwork done in any conversions!

Thanks for sharing MusicianKooL!

Code Archives Forum