Code archives/3D Graphics - Mesh/Create bones in code

This code has been declared by its author to be Public Domain code.

Download source code

Create bones in code by Yasha2009
Current status: Appears to work correctly with Blitz3D version 1.103.

There's already a thread in the forums, but this might be the better place for this sort of thing.

Many people have in the past requested that we get the ability to dynamically modify boned meshes. Well, now you can create them from scratch. This is not a "replica" of bone animation using its own maths - this actually does use the native B3D animation system. In order to use it, you will need a DLL that lets you peek and poke directly to memory addresses (I used FastPointer, available here for free, but any will do - replace "MemoryFastPeekInt/Float/Byte" and "MemoryFastPoke..." with the names of your DLL's commands. You can also use RtlMoveMemory for this). The only difference from entities loaded with LoadAnimMesh is that since not all the internal structures are being created, Blitz3D has to be "fooled" into looking for this information in banks. For the user, this means you can use the entity as normal, but it has to be freed with FreeBoneEnt, not FreeEntity, so that the banks are also freed and there is no memory leak. (EDIT: Also, if you CopyEntity one of these, don't delete the original before the copies. Bad things will happen.)

Why would you want to do this? Well, there are a few reasons. To be able to create media in code means you can load that media from a bank - which means you can read animated meshes out of big archive files now instead of either extracting them to a temporary file, or leaving them out in the cold at the mercy of your customers. The other part is that the file format is no longer limited to B3D - if for some reason you don't have a 3D modeller that saves to B3D, you can write a custom DirectX 8 importer or whatever. Or, as I like to do for all my media, design your own more streamlined file format based on knowing which features you're not going to use. Also, because it's fun to be in control!

This was designed with Blitz3D version 1.100. It will obviously not work with very old versions (prior to 1.86 probably) that don't support bone animation, and I don't know how much the internals of Blitz3D have changed between other versions - it may not work with all of them either. Be aware that prodding the internals of Blitz3D may not be entirely safe - if you're just starting a new project, it may be better to design a dynamic system into it from the ground up (this is more of an addon!).

EDIT: Original version broken by update 1.101. I think I fixed it, but since I don't fully understand what I did to fix it, please let me know what happens. At any rate the demo works now. Changes from v1.100 are clearly marked - you HAVE to comment them out if you want to use it with v1.100 or older (haven't tested with older versions).
Type BoneEnt		;The type for manually boned entities
	Field entity
	Field bones
	Field bone_tforms,bone_tforms_orig[2]
	Field objectlist,objectlist_orig[2]
	Field matrix101;,matrix101_orig[2]		;I DON'T KNOW what this actually does. Added in Blitz3D v1.101, comment it out for earlier versions
End Type

;Basic setup
Global appheight=768
Global appwidth=1024
Global appdepth=32

AppTitle "";,"Are you sure you want to quit?"

SC_FPS=60	;Desired framerate
rtime=Floor(1000.0/SC_FPS)
limited=True

Graphics3D appwidth,appheight,appdepth,6
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

centrecam=CreatePivot()
PositionEntity centrecam,0,15,0
camera=CreateCamera(centrecam)
PositionEntity camera,0,20,-50,1

;Setup lighting
sun=CreateLight()
PositionEntity sun,-100,400,0
PointEntity sun,centrecam

;Setup a simple scene
ground=CreateMesh()
parquet=CreateSurface(ground)
v1=AddVertex(parquet,-125,0,150):v2=AddVertex(parquet,125,0,150):v3=AddVertex(parquet,125,0,-100)
AddTriangle(parquet,v1,v2,v3):v2=AddVertex(parquet,-125,0,-100):AddTriangle(parquet,v1,v3,v2)
EntityColor ground,0,0,255
block=CreateCube():ScaleMesh block,20,5,20:EntityColor block,255,0,0

;Our entity
box=CreateCube()
PositionEntity box,-10,15,0
ScaleMesh box,7,7,7
bone=CreatePivot(box):marker=CreateSphere(8,bone)

ID=AddBone(box,bone)
surface=GetSurface(box,1)
SetVertexBone(surface,0,ID)		;Add the top half of the cube to a bone
SetVertexBone(surface,1,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,4,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,5,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,8,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,9,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,12,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,13,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,16,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,17,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,18,ID)
SetVertexBone(surface,19,ID)

While Not KeyDown(1)
	ctime=MilliSecs()	;For the delay later, nothing to do with bones

;Camera movement
	MoveEntity camera,0,KeyDown(200)-KeyDown(208),KeyDown(30)-KeyDown(44)
	TurnEntity centrecam,0,KeyDown(203)-KeyDown(205),0
	PointEntity camera,centrecam

PositionEntity bone,5*Cos(MilliSecs()/10),2.5+5*Sin(MilliSecs()/10),0	;Move the bone around so we can see it

;System from here down
	RenderWorld

If MilliSecs()-render_time=>1000 Then fps=frames:frames=0:render_time=MilliSecs():Else frames=frames+1
	Text 0,30,"FPS: "+fps

Text 0,90,MemoryFastPeekFloat(bone+$D4)

n=rtime-(MilliSecs()-ctime)		;Free spare CPU time - nothing to do with bones, just good practice
	Delay n-(limited+1)
	Flip limited
Wend

FreeBoneEnt(box)	;Using this command instead of FreeEntity is essential to prevent memory leaks

End

Function AddBone(entity,bone)		;Add an entity to a mesh as a bone. Must be not be scaled or rotated, but do position it first
	ent.BoneEnt=GetBoneEnt(entity)

If ent=Null
		AddAnimSeq(entity,0)		;Give the entity an animator structure where the necessary info will be stored
		ent=New BoneEnt

ent\entity=entity
		ent\objectlist=CreateBank(4)
		PokeInt ent\objectlist,0,entity
		ent\bone_tforms=CreateBank(48)
		PokeFloat ent\bone_tforms,0,1:PokeFloat ent\bone_tforms,16,1:PokeFloat ent\bone_tforms,32,1

ent\objectlist_orig[0]=MemoryFastPeekInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+36)
		ent\objectlist_orig[1]=MemoryFastPeekInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+40)
		ent\objectlist_orig[2]=MemoryFastPeekInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+44)

ent\bone_tforms_orig[0]=MemoryFastPeekInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+96)
		ent\bone_tforms_orig[1]=MemoryFastPeekInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+100)
		ent\bone_tforms_orig[2]=MemoryFastPeekInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+104)

MemoryFastPokeInt(entity+$240,1)

;Blitz3D v1101+ ONLY from here...
		ent\matrix101=CreateBank(84)
		PokeFloat ent\matrix101, 0,1.0		;Seems to function without these, but since I don't know what they do...
		PokeFloat ent\matrix101,16,1.0
		PokeFloat ent\matrix101,32,1.0
		PokeFloat ent\matrix101,48,1.0
		PokeFloat ent\matrix101,64,1.0
		PokeFloat ent\matrix101,80,1.0
		;...to here. Comment out this entire section in earlier versions
	EndIf

ent\bones=ent\bones+1

ResizeBank(ent\objectlist,BankSize(ent\objectlist)+4)
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$23C)+36,MemoryFastPeekInt(ent\objectlist+4))
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$23C)+40,MemoryFastPeekInt(ent\objectlist+4)+BankSize(ent\objectlist))
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$23C)+44,MemoryFastPeekInt(ent\objectlist+4)+BankSize(ent\objectlist))

ResizeBank(ent\bone_tforms,BankSize(ent\bone_tforms)+48)
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+96,MemoryFastPeekInt(ent\bone_tforms+4))
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+100,MemoryFastPeekInt(ent\bone_tforms+4)+BankSize(ent\bone_tforms))
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+104,MemoryFastPeekInt(ent\bone_tforms+4)+BankSize(ent\bone_tforms))

PokeInt ent\objectlist,4*ent\bones,bone

PokeFloat ent\bone_tforms,48*ent\bones,1:PokeFloat ent\bone_tforms,48*ent\bones+16,1:PokeFloat ent\bone_tforms,48*ent\bones+32,1
	PokeFloat ent\bone_tforms,48*ent\bones+36,EntityX(bone,0)
	PokeFloat ent\bone_tforms,48*ent\bones+40,EntityY(bone,0)
	PokeFloat ent\bone_tforms,48*ent\bones+44,EntityZ(bone,0)

ResizeBank(ent\matrix101,BankSize(ent\matrix101)+84)
	MemoryFastPokeInt(entity+$2A4,MemoryFastPeekInt(ent\matrix101+4))
	MemoryFastPokeInt(entity+$2A8,MemoryFastPeekInt(ent\matrix101+4)+BankSize(ent\matrix101))
	MemoryFastPokeInt(entity+$2AC,MemoryFastPeekInt(ent\matrix101+4)+BankSize(ent\matrix101))

PokeFloat ent\matrix101,84*ent\bones+ 0,1.0		;Seems to function without these, but since I don't know what they do...
	PokeFloat ent\matrix101,84*ent\bones+16,1.0
	PokeFloat ent\matrix101,84*ent\bones+32,1.0
	PokeFloat ent\matrix101,84*ent\bones+48,1.0
	PokeFloat ent\matrix101,84*ent\bones+64,1.0
	PokeFloat ent\matrix101,84*ent\bones+80,1.0

Return ent\bones
End Function

Function GetBone(entity,boneID)				;Get a bone's entity handle from its simple ID
	be.BoneEnt=GetBoneEnt(entity)
	Return PeekInt(be\objectlist,4*boneID)
End Function

Function SetVertexBone(surface,vertex,boneID,bonenum=0,weight#=1.0)		;Attach a bone to a vertex, by bone ID
	vertexptr=MemoryFastPeekInt(surface+28)
	MemoryFastPokeByte(vertexptr+vertex*64+44+bonenum,boneID)
	If bonenum<3 Then MemoryFastPokeByte(vertexptr+vertex*64+44+bonenum+1,255)
	MemoryFastPokeFloat(vertexptr+vertex*64+48+bonenum*4,weight)
End Function

Function GetVertexBone(surface,vertex,bonenum=0)	;Returns a boneID for a vertex (not an entity handle)
	vertexptr=MemoryFastPeekInt(surface+28)
	Return MemoryFastPeekByte(vertexptr+vertex*64+44+bonenum)
End Function

Function ClearVertexBones(surface,vertex)	;This function is really just to make things clearer
	SetVertexBone(surface,vertex,255)		;Blitz treats a boneID of 255 as "stop looking". Don't need to actually zero the rest
End Function

Function GetBoneEnt.BoneEnt(entity)			;Gets a BoneEnt definition from an entity handle
	For be.BoneEnt=Each BoneEnt
		If be\entity=entity Then Return be
	Next
	Return Null
End Function

Function FreeBoneEnt(entity)				;Free a manually boned entity and its banks - you MUST use this to avoid memory leaks
	ent.BoneEnt=GetBoneEnt(entity)
	If ent=Null Then Return			;Or you could set it to free the non-boned entity anyway, and use this command on all entities - safer

MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+36,ent\objectlist_orig[0])		;Restore the original lists so they can be freed properly
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+40,ent\objectlist_orig[1])
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+44,ent\objectlist_orig[2])

MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+96,ent\bone_tforms_orig[0])
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+100,ent\bone_tforms_orig[1])
	MemoryFastPokeInt(MemoryFastPeekInt(entity+$284)+104,ent\bone_tforms_orig[2])

MemoryFastPokeInt(entity+$2A4,0)
	MemoryFastPokeInt(entity+$2A8,0)
	MemoryFastPokeInt(entity+$2AC,0)
	FreeBank ent\matrix101

FreeBank ent\objectlist
	FreeBank ent\bone_tforms
	FreeEntity entity
End Function

Comments

Beaker2009
Great stuff. Well done! Thanks for making this work.

RifRaf2009
I think I can use this. Many thanks !

Yasha2009
Turns out this does not work with Blitz3D version 1.101. Will fix this ASAP.

puki2009
:(

Still, if you can't fix it - we just remove the update and everything is back to normal.

Hurrah!

:)

Yasha2009
Alright, fixed - I think. Since I don't understand the most recent update, I also am not 100% sure I understand the fix, but at least the demo works. Please let me know how you get on!

Also, I guess nobody tried using this for a project yet because there was also a typo that would have made it unusable. Fixed that too - please re-download it even if you're using Blitz3D v1.100.

Finally, all this talk of CopyEntity (reason for update v1.101) made me realise - because CopyEntity doesn't create new surface info, it won't work perfectly with this hack. You should be able to copy a dynamically created boned entity, but don't free the original - just hide it or something. Remember that the info is stored in banks which Blitz is "tricked" into looking at - getting rid of these will therefore break copied entities. I will create a fix for this in due course - hopefully in the meantime the suggested option of keeping the original mesh around, but hidden, will be enough.

Massive thanks to Mark for the quick response.

Bobysait2009
it's missing a
ent\entity = entity in the AddBone function, else, it never find current bones in the BoneEnt list.

Else, it's a great job ! thanks for release.

Yasha2009
Huh. That's what I get for not testing it with more than one bone...!

Thanks for pointing that out. I do feel silly. Has been updated now.

Tom2009
Hi,

EDIT:

3x4 *inverse* bone matrices are found at:
entpeek=PeekMemInt(mesh+644)
firstMatrixPointer=PeekMemInt(entpeek+96)
lastMatrixPointer=PeekMemInt(entpeek+100)

xVec 1,0,0
yVec 0,1,0
zVec 0,0,1
tXYZ 0,0,0

12 floats, 48 bytes per matrix

These are the bones 'rest transforms' or 'pose' transforms.

Good work!
Tom

Bobysait2009
there is still an error for empty surface
+> Runtimeerror ocures if we try to renderworld mesh with surfaces that does not contain any vertices.
( I know such a surface does not mean nothing, whatever, it should not produce error )

Edit :
there is also a strange behavior
when I tune vertices, it seems they have to be setted locally to the bones they are affected ...

and there is something strange happening...

have a look on this code ( hit F1 to switch wireframe ! )

Notice :
I have modified the original code , commenting the line where bone is automatically parented to the entity...
+> As I need the bone to keep parented to an other !

here is my version :

Yasha2009
Removed the line parenting the new bone to the entity - you're right, that prevents it from doing anything useful.

As for the RenderWorld error - Blitz3D renders boned and unboned meshes by different means. I think the method used for boned meshes must make certain assumptions about the model's integrity (since the only "official" way to get bones onto a mesh is via LoadAnimMesh which can presumably fix problems like surfaces with no vertices) and that there's not much we can do about it from this side (a boned mesh created by LoadAnimMesh will also crash on RenderWorld if given empty surfaces).

I, uh... have no idea what Tom's post means or what your example is demonstrating, sorry. Feeling slow today. Your addition to AddBone() with the TFormVector commands - is this to allow bones to have a rest orientation other than 0,0,0?

Bobysait2009
the tform method is here to store the "real" structue of matrix vectors to global coordinates.
But maybe I'm wrong doing this

Code Archives Forum