Code archives/3D Graphics - Mesh/Terrain Erosion

This code has been declared by its author to be Public Domain code.

Download source code

Terrain Erosion by Yasha2009
Two functions to apply erosion to terrain meshes created with regular mesh commands (to use on Blitz terrains you'd have to save the heightmap again afterwards). Thermal erosion refers to the way rocks break and fall downhill over time. This will eventually turn terrains into a rough pyramid if run long enough. Fluvial erosion is the effect of rain and surface water carrying particles downhill. Tends to result in terrain looking like a seabed. Used together they can turn a simple hand-drawn or procedural terrain into something much more natural-looking. Sorry for the messy code. (EDIT: Replaced with a vastly-improved version that uses banks)

Here's a sample heightmap to test it on:

There are several functions in the archives already for creating random terrains from scratch (follow my name for some of them, although there are better ones out there).
Graphics3D 1024,768,32,6
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

;SeedRnd(MilliSecs())

Local heightMap=LoadImage("heightmap.bmp"),terrainBank=CreateBank(),terrainScale#=20
Local heightMap2=CopyImage(heightMap),wireMode

HeightmapToBank heightMap,terrainBank,terrainScale

Local blitzTerrain=BlitzTerrainFromBank(terrainBank,ImageWidth(heightMap),ImageHeight(heightMap),terrainScale)

Local light=CreateLight()						;Setup light&camera
PositionEntity light,-100,100,-100
Local centrecam=CreatePivot(),camera=CreateCamera(centrecam)
PositionEntity camera,0,26,(ImageWidth(heightMap)+ImageHeight(heightMap))/2.6
PointEntity camera,centrecam
PointEntity light,centrecam

Local SC_FPS=60,ctime		;"CPU breathing code" - nothing to do with erosion
Local rtime=Floor(1000.0/SC_FPS),limited=True

While Not KeyDown(1)
	ctime=MilliSecs()

TurnEntity centrecam,0,KeyDown(205)-KeyDown(203),0
	MoveEntity camera,0,0,KeyDown(200)-KeyDown(208)

If KeyHit(28)		;Erode!
		;Play with these parameters
		ErodeThermal(terrainBank,50,0.0625*terrainScale,ImageWidth(heightMap),ImageHeight(heightMap))
		ErodeFluvial(terrainBank,50,0.01,0.5,ImageWidth(heightMap),ImageHeight(heightMap))

;Rebuild the demo terrain
		FreeEntity blitzTerrain
		blitzTerrain=BlitzTerrainFromBank(terrainBank,ImageWidth(heightMap),ImageHeight(heightMap),terrainScale)

;Update the "eroded" heightmap image
		BankToHeightmap terrainBank,heightMap2
	EndIf

If KeyHit(17)
		wireMode=Not wireMode
		WireFrame wireMode
	EndIf

RenderWorld
	Text 50,25,"Press Enter to apply erosion, W to toggle wireframe, Esc to exit"
	DrawImage heightMap,50,75
	Text 50,50,"Original"
	DrawImage heightMap2,100+ImageWidth(heightMap),75
	Text 100+ImageWidth(heightMap),50,"Eroded"

Delay rtime-(MilliSecs()-ctime)-(limited+1)		;Free any spare CPU time
	Flip limited
Wend
End

Function ErodeFluvial(bank,iterations,solubility#,deposition#,xSize,zSize)		;Fluvial erosion.
	Local i,x,z,rainTable,dMax#,hiPointIndex,index,indexHeight#,rainHeight#
	Local zs4=zSize*4	;Just to speed things up below

rainTable=CreateBank(BankSize(bank))

For i=1 To iterations
		For index=0 To (xSize*zSize*4)-4 Step 4	;Add water & dissolve terrain
			PokeFloat rainTable,index,PeekFloat(rainTable,index)+solubility
			PokeFloat bank,index,PeekFloat(bank,index)-solubility
		Next

For x=0 To xSize-1
			For z=0 To zSize-1

;Identify dmax and high point
				dMax=0
				index=4*(x*zSize+z)
				indexHeight=PeekFloat(bank,index)+PeekFloat(rainTable,index)

If z>0
					If x>0
						If indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,(index-zs4)-4)+PeekFloat(rainTable,(index-zs4)-4))>dMax
							hiPointIndex=(index-zs4)-4
							dMax=indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)+PeekFloat(rainTable,hiPointIndex))
						EndIf
					EndIf
					If indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,index-4)+PeekFloat(rainTable,index-4))>dMax
						hiPointIndex=index-4
						dMax=indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)+PeekFloat(rainTable,hiPointIndex))
					EndIf
					If x<xSize-1
						If indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,(index+zs4)-4)+PeekFloat(rainTable,(index+zs4)-4))>dMax
							hiPointIndex=(index+zs4)-4
						EndIf
					EndIf
				EndIf

If x<xSize-1
					If indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,index+zs4)+PeekFloat(rainTable,index+zs4))>dMax
						hiPointIndex=index+zs4
					EndIf
				EndIf

If z<zSize-1
					If x>0
						If indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,(index-zs4)+4)+PeekFloat(rainTable,(index-zs4)+4))>dMax
							hiPointIndex=(index-zs4)+4
						EndIf
					EndIf
					If indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,index+4)+PeekFloat(rainTable,index+4))>dMax
						hiPointIndex=index+4
					EndIf
					If x<xSize-1
						If indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,(index+zs4)+4)+PeekFloat(rainTable,(index+zs4)+4))>dMax
							hiPointIndex=(index+zs4)+4
						EndIf
					EndIf
				EndIf

If x>0
					If indexHeight-(PeekFloat(bank,index-zs4)+PeekFloat(rainTable,index-zs4))>dMax
						hiPointIndex=index-zs4
					EndIf
				EndIf

;Movement of water
				If dMax>0
					rainHeight=PeekFloat(rainTable,index)
					If rainHeight+PeekFloat(rainTable,hiPointIndex)+PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)<=indexHeight-rainHeight
						PokeFloat rainTable,index,0
						PokeFloat rainTable,hiPointIndex,PeekFloat(rainTable,hiPointIndex)+rainHeight
					EndIf
					If rainHeight+PeekFloat(rainTable,hiPointIndex)+PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)>=indexHeight
						PokeFloat rainTable,index,rainHeight-(dMax/2.0)
						PokeFloat rainTable,hiPointIndex,PeekFloat(rainTable,hiPointIndex)+(dMax/2.0)
					EndIf
					If rainHeight+PeekFloat(rainTable,hiPointIndex)+PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)>indexHeight-rainHeight
						If rainHeight+PeekFloat(rainTable,hiPointIndex)+PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)<indexHeight
							PokeFloat rainTable,index,(rainHeight-(dMax-rainHeight))/2.0
							PokeFloat rainTable,hiPointIndex,PeekFloat(rainTable,hiPointIndex)+(rainHeight-(rainHeight-(dMax-rainHeight))/2.0)
						EndIf
					EndIf
				EndIf
			Next
		Next

For index=0 To (xSize*zSize*4)-4 Step 4	;Evaporate water & deposit sediment
			rainHeight=PeekFloat(rainTable,index)
			PokeFloat rainTable,index,rainHeight-rainHeight*deposition
			PokeFloat bank,index,PeekFloat(bank,index)+rainHeight*deposition
		Next
	Next

For index=0 To (xSize*zSize*4)-4 Step 4
		PokeFloat bank,index,PeekFloat(bank,index)+PeekFloat(rainTable,index)
	Next

FreeBank rainTable
End Function

Function ErodeThermal(bank,iterations,talus#,xSize,zSize)	;Thermal erosion. Target mesh, no. of iterations, talus angle, terrain dimensions
	Local i,x,z,dMax#,hiPointIndex,index,indexHeight#

Local zs4=zSize*4	;Just to speed things up below

For i=1 To iterations
		For x=0 To xSize-1
			For z=0 To zSize-1

;Identify dmax and high point
				dMax#=0
				index=4*(x*zSize+z)
				indexHeight=PeekFloat(bank,index)

If z>0
					If x>0
						If indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,(index-zs4)-4)>dMax Then hiPointIndex=(index-zs4)-4:dMax=indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)
					EndIf
					If indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,index-4)>dMax Then hiPointIndex=index-4:dMax=indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)
					If x<(xSize-1)
						If indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,(index+zs4)-4)>dMax Then hiPointIndex=(index+zs4)-4:dMax=indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)
					EndIf
				EndIf

If x<(xSize-1)
					If indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,index+zs4)>dMax Then hiPointIndex=index+zs4:dMax=indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)
				EndIf

If z<(zSize-1)
					If x>0
						If indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,(index-zs4)+4)>dMax Then hiPointIndex=(index-zs4)+4:dMax=indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)
					EndIf
					If indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,index+4)>dMax Then hiPointIndex=index+4:dMax=indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)
					If x<(xSize-1)
						If indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,(index+zs4)+4)>dMax Then hiPointIndex=(index+zs4)+4:dMax=indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)
					EndIf
				EndIf

If x>0
					If indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,index-zs4)>dMax Then hiPointIndex=index-zs4:dMax=indexHeight-PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)
				EndIf

If dMax>talus
					PokeFloat bank,index,indexHeight-(dMax/2)
					PokeFloat bank,hiPointIndex,PeekFloat(bank,hiPointIndex)+(dMax/2)
				EndIf

Next
		Next
	Next
End Function

;The following functions are for demonstration purposes only and are in no way guaranteed to be safe
;===================================================================================================

Function HeightmapToBank(image,bank,scale#)
	Local x,y
	ResizeBank bank,ImageHeight(image)*ImageWidth(image)*4
	LockBuffer ImageBuffer(image)
	For x=0 To ImageWidth(image)-1
		For y=0 To ImageHeight(image)-1
			PokeFloat bank,4*(x*ImageHeight(image)+y),((ReadPixelFast(x,y,ImageBuffer(image)) And $00FF0000) Shr 16)/255.0*scale
		Next
	Next
	UnlockBuffer ImageBuffer(image)
End Function

Function BankToHeightmap(bank,image)	;This function doesn't check the size of the image or bank!
	Local x,y,hiPoint#,loPoint#,scale#,grey

hiPoint=PeekFloat(bank,0):loPoint=hiPoint

scale=PeekFloat(bank,4*(x*ImageHeight(image)+y))
			If scale>hiPoint Then hiPoint=scale
			If scale<loPoint Then loPoint=scale
		Next
	Next

scale=255.0/(hiPoint-loPoint)

LockBuffer ImageBuffer(image)
			grey=(PeekFloat(bank,4*(x*ImageHeight(image)+y))-loPoint)*scale		;Normalise the values to 0-255
			WritePixelFast x,y,(grey Shl 16) Or (grey Shl 8) Or grey,ImageBuffer(image)
		Next
	Next
	UnlockBuffer ImageBuffer(image)
End Function

Function BlitzTerrainFromBank(bank,xSize,ySize,scale#)	;Create a Blitz terrain with the bank's data. DEMO PURPOSES ONLY
	Local terrain,x,y

;Create a terrain of large enough sides for this bank
	If Ceil(Log(xSize)/Log(2))>Ceil(Log(ySize)/Log(2))
		terrain=CreateTerrain(2^Ceil(Log(xSize)/Log(2)))
	Else
		terrain=CreateTerrain(2^Ceil(Log(ySize)/Log(2)))
	EndIf

TerrainDetail terrain,12000,True
	TerrainShading terrain,True
	MoveEntity terrain,-(xSize/2.0),0,-(ySize/2.0)	;Centre the relevant bit
	ScaleEntity terrain,1,scale,1

For x=0 To xSize-1
		For y=0 To ySize-1
			ModifyTerrain terrain,x,y,PeekFloat(bank,(x*ySize+y)*4)/scale
		Next
	Next

Return terrain
End Function

Comments

BlitzSupport2009
Works very well, thanks. (For anyone else trying, hit Enter to run the erosion routines.)

RifRaf2009
Neat, I would love to see a few versions that will work on the image (heightmap) rather than the mesh.

Yasha2009
The simplest way would be to replace the mesh in the functions with either a bank or array of floats to represent the heights - basically exactly the same method. To work directly on an image would not in my opinion be a very good idea - firstly, being limited to 256 values while working and having no set scale makes it less accurate, and harder to control; secondly (and far more importantly), ReadPixelFast is really, really slow - the functions get to something like twenty times slower if you replace the vertex commands with Read and WritePixelFast.

RifRaf2009
If you need faster effects and dont want to save an image for other apps to get ahold of then yeah I would agree. :)

Good idea with the bank though, ill just do that then normalise to 256 range and save the image.

Pongo2010
Very nice!

I'm getting a MAV when I try to replace the image with my own though. (any image different than 129x129) Any idea where this is coming from? It looks like the code should work for multiple resolutions, but I can't see the error.

it MAV's at the renderworld line.

Yasha2010
Thanks for pointing that out. I assume you're trying to load a bigger image?

Blitz3D surfaces have a vertex count limit of 65535 - if, as I guess, you're trying to use a 256x256 heightmap, you're creating 65536, which can result in MAVs on some machines or just garbage renders on others. I forgot about this when I originally put the functions up.

I'll rewrite this to use banks instead of meshes, and that hopefully will fix the problem (I guess the result can probably be displayed using Blitz Terrains - don't like them much though). Give me a couple of hours....

Pongo2010
Ahhh,... that makes complete sense now.

The MAV was so vague I was having trouble figuring it out. I kept going through the code and could not find anything wrong!

Yasha2010
EDIT: THe new version is now in the main archive box.

Still doesn't look exactly the same as the original - I have no idea why - but fixed the error that was throwing the results way out.

Heliotrope2010
I am trying to run it but it comes up with an error message

"memory access violation".

Yasha2010
Did you supply an input image, such as the one at the top of the description? Remember Blitz3D can't load files from relative paths unless you save the source code first.

Heliotrope2010
Yes,I did

BlitzSupport2010
You should get a more useful error message than MAV with the debugger turned on.

Code Archives Forum