public smtp?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/public smtp?

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2002) [#1]
in the blitzmail deluxe it has smtp.crosswinds.net as a public smtp. It doesnt work. What are some other public ones i could use?

FlameDuck(Posted 2002) [#2]
You can always check the Open Relay Database but note that almost every mail exchange server will block mail sent through an Open Relay (to prevent SPAM, natch).

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2002) [#3]
could i make a hotmail account and use the hotmail server to send email? And what is the hotmail smtp server?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2002) [#4]
I believe Crosswinds recently stopped their SMTP server from being publicly accessible... I don't think Hotmail has a (public) SMTP server...

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2002) [#5]
Ok, well hotmail doesnt have a public one, but how would i use my hotmail account with blitz mail deluxe?

morduun(Posted 2002) [#6]
You can't. Microsoft wants you to read their ads, not circumvent them by allowing open access to their servers.

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2002) [#7]
so then what is a free email service that will allow me to use their account within bb?

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2002) [#8]
cmon doesnt someone know of any free email services that i can use with blitz mail?

FlameDuck(Posted 2002) [#9]
Nope. Not many "free" (as in "free beer") services allow a POP3 interface, since they mostly rely on advertisments to get by. Doesn't your ISP have an e-mail account for you?

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2002) [#10]
i use juno web, how would i use this?

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2002) [#11]
does anyone know anything about this subject?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2002) [#12]
what do you want? receive Mails? or only sending? You can use a PHP Script to send mails on the most Webservers that support PHP and Sendmail. smtp is kinda jurassic park, you better don't use it as a basement for your App.

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2002) [#13]
oh. im only using for sending, so how do i do php script? Im new to this. Thanks

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2002) [#14]
. . . Cmon, cant somebody help me with this, ive been tryin to figure this out for 4 days now, wheres the blitz community when i need em?

FlameDuck(Posted 2002) [#15]
Have a look here it has downloads and a nice manual in PDF format. Of course what you're asking is pretty much impossible, unless you setup your own mail exchange server, it's unlikely that everyone will be able to use it.

Neochrome(Posted 2003) [#16]
you could use your own isp smtp server, they always work if your connected to them, You could get blitz deluxe mail have the user setup up there own, as defualt put anything in

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#17]
um.... if he's still not got it by now, chances are he doesn't need it anymore, that was over a year ago :)

skn3(Posted 2003) [#18]
LOL! I think im gonna do the same with another thread, for kicks.

Kevin_(Posted 2003) [#19]
Dont forget that sometimes you will have to POP (log in)before sending through an SMTP server if you have not recently logged in.

Regards

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#20]
I refer to my earlier post...

Arem(Posted 2007) [#21]
I may be a little late- this topic is 5 years old... but I have a solution. Nearly every SMTP server is "public". You just need to find out what they are. This can be accomplished through command prompt.

Open 'er up and type:

nslookup.exe

then hit enter.
Then type

set type=mx

and hit enter.

Now just type the name of any website that accepts emails, and you'll get a list of their SMTP servers! These can be used. This is just FYI as I don't know anything about the legality of using a random SMTP server for sending your mail...

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#22]
Now just type the name of any website that accepts emails, and you'll get a list of their SMTP servers! These can be used. This is just FYI as I don't know anything about the legality of using a random SMTP server for sending your mail...

As long as you send only to recipients *on* that mailserver, it's perfectly legit... After all, essentially your client ap becomes its own server at that point.

But a big catch is that many ISP's will reject any incoming message originating at an IP address that is in dial-up, DSL or cable space, thanks to the huge amount of infected end-user PC's relaying spam on someone else's behalf.

Viable public SMTP servers died many years ago -- like many other things spammers ruined it for everyone else.