Lots of questions

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Lots of questions

neos300(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have a lot of questions (most of them are questions about direct play stuff, but there are some others)

When i am playing a direct play server, how does the user send a message to the host?

If i was making a mmorpg, would the weapons/skills/items/quests be stored server side or client side?

I am making a couple of ciphers, but i am having trouble making a program to encode/decode it. I am using the replace command, but everything goes back to normal after i use the replace command. (I am currently just using the replace command by it's self, should i assign a variable, eg encode$ = encode$ + replace(encode$,"h"."b") for example?)

is there any way to connect to myspql database?

I will add more q's later.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
If i was making a mmorpg, would the weapons/skills/items/quests be stored server side or client side?

Typically the server should keep track of all the accomplishments, and assign the proper weapons/skills/items/etc -- otherwise it would be trivial for someone to edit their savegame, and give themselves more health / objects, etc. With the server in charge of all that, it just needs to keep track of when you earn something, and it knows you have it. When connecting you use a username/password, and the server can retrieve your current status. for pretty much any client/server communication the following goes: Never trust what a client tells you.
(More important with a multiplayer game than with singleplayer, since a single cheating player can make a multiplayer game bad for everyone else too. One cheating player that becomes unbeatable sucks the fun out of the game for everyone.)

As far as the cyphers are converned: there is some code in the code archives that should address that.
Don't know about Blitsplus, but for blitzMax the syntax for replace is as follows:
encode$=replace(encode$,"h","b")
Just letter substitution is a pretty bad way of obscuring your info though, it will be trivial for people to reverse engineer.

MySQL: I'm not aware of any BlitzPlus MySQL connection libraries, but in principle it's possible....

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#3]
IIRC, DirectPlay has been deprecated by MS. You might want to look at alternatives to future-proof your game.

neos300(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks xlisoe. GaryV, what is MS? I'm not familar with that acroynym.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
MS = Microsoft.

Directplay is on its way out, it's quite possible that it will be gone in future versions of Windows.

schilcote(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yeah, I find TCP easier to fit to my purposes anyway.