ntg3d! for blitz plus. written in b+

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/ntg3d! for blitz plus. written in b+

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi

I downloaded the b+ demo and wrote this awesome 3d engine for it, all written in b+! It is like a cross between open gl like commands and blitz 3d. The downer is it lacks alpha and textures which could probably easily be added but would make it slower.

I have a simple cube demo and the include included. no pun intended
also, there are no dlls or decels required

edit: I forgot to mention that since it is not hardware accelerated, it can probably only go 30 fps in a low poly environment. sorry for this inconvenience but you can render to an image buffer and only render once every other frame if you must have 60 fps

I would be interested to see what this community can do with this as I cannot do much myself... Ill try to make a little game though :P

edit: oops I think the transform command should be translate :p

download:
http://naillproductions.synthasite.com/resources/ntg3d_game_example.zip

enjoy 3d in a totally 2d environment :)

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hey pretty cool, I'd like to see it implemented in some sort of game.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hey sauer

Im working on an entity system and I corrected my rotation formulas and camera zoom so everything is fixed visually. this is way faster than I expected for a non hardware accelerated 3d

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#4]
continued here

there's your game sauer! :) its simple but effective

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84006

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#5]
Cool! Next step: create an import mesh function.

After all, that's all a mesh is... a collection of triangles.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yeah.. does anyone know the format for .b3d or .md2 or .x or .3ds?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#7]
B3D Format

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#8]
I have tried the b3d format but I just cant seem to get a program to import it properly.. ill search the code arcs for some import code

Sauer(Posted 2009) [#9]
You could use blender waveform obj format, its just a text file list of tri's... that's what I'm using for my raytracer I'm working on.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#10]
thanks that looks a lot easier than any other 3d format.

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#11]
Hey nate... thats great! :)

Makes me want to do a remake of a spaceship game that I cannot recall the name of now but I played it on the Archimedes at school some 16 years ago and it involved a little spaceship you controlled with the mouse and the LMB controlled the firing and the RMB controlled the thrust...

*Breathes*

Anyhoo, nice job that, and pretty smooth too! :)

Dabz

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#12]
Anyhoo, nice job that, and pretty smooth too! :)

yeah I was really surprised too when I saw how fast it was considering it is completely 2d. textures would be nice but they would slow it down to an unusable state :p so would alpha

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#13]
spaceship game that I cannot recall the name of now but I played it on the Archimedes at school some 16 years ago and it involved a little spaceship you controlled with the mouse and the LMB controlled the firing and the RMB controlled the thrust...

I believe on the Archimedes it was called "Zarch", and when ported to other machines (eg Amiga) it was called "Virus".

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#14]
Thats the fella! :)

Dabz

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#15]
Sorry to take this a lil further off-topic, but HERE is a link to some stuff by Stevie Goodwin, including a couple of versions of Zarch (aka Z_Virus) including Blitz source. Might be of some interest.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#16]
I love software renderers but can't seem to get to the site. Any chance of someone posting it elsewhere, if Nate agrees?

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#17]
hmm thats odd... ill have to check up on it

Ill just put it in the code arcs :)

edit: fixed the link!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2009) [#18]

fixed the link!

That did it. Yeah, good work -- runs well too!