Invisible Button Request

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Invisible Button Request

TAS(Posted 2008) [#1]
It would be great if a invisible button style was added to CreateButton(), or GadgetVisible(hand,{true/false}) function existed. The invisble button or gadget would still create an event if clicked but would not interfer with the canvas image. This would allow for fancy button formats and the creation of new psuedo gadgets with minimum effort.

I admidt it should be possible to get the same effect by creating a button size canvas. Is this kosher or a terrible waste of system resources? I don't want to manage a canvas with multiple psuedo buttons as the whole point of Blitz+ is that GUI is already built in.

David Boudreau(Posted 2008) [#2]
I didn't get too far this way, but one of the things I tried in the last week was creating a toolbar (of only one icon), because you can put an image on a toolbar, so I tried to make the background of the toolbar transparent or the same color as the panel on the window and make the panel transparent. I was going to try it again with iconstrip. But obviously there's a lot of limits that way (for what I want to do anyways, might work enough for your needs?)

With Hipteen's code of a transparent skinned window, playing around with that, I know I was able to get the panel's textfield to be transparent at one point-- in effect, the textfield was like a hole in the window, because if you clicked inside that hole it would bring the window underneath the app to come into focus (and put the app behind it).

Re: "is it a terrible waste of system resources instead of doing it another way"-- I often wonder what, exactly, is a canvas, myself. Why does a canvas leave trails of un-Cls'ed junk all over the Desktop in Hipteen's transparent window code, but his panel does not? If you'll allow the pun, a canvas with that code acts like it is making the Desktop unable to "refresh" itself.