3D Golf Game

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/3D Golf Game

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#1]
The 3D engine is nearing completion, with only a few minor issues to figure out. I've programmed this from scratch aside from sswift's FastPoly function.
( http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=136 )

3D is not where my knowledge lies, so I'm doing this in hopes of gaining a better understanding of 3D. The engine is not flawless, and may never be. All it does at the moment is display a painted terrain that will eventually (hopefully) become a playable golf course. You can make your own maps though editing the golf map file by hand, or you can use the img to map executable to turn a heightmap image and a terrain image into a golf course.

I'll be open for comments and constructive criticism as soon as I upload it, which should be very soon. Sorry for the delay, though.

Download

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#2]
Download Link:

(Broken Link)

I'd like some feedback. If it's positive, I'll likely continue. If nobody cares, well, why should I care, right?

Don't get too mad if the link doesn't work. This is the first time trying this file host.

Pongo(Posted 2008) [#3]
Link doesn't appear to be working at this point. I'll try again later.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#4]
Try it again

I'm still figuring this thing out, I may have messed it up. I think it'll work fine now.

I had to take it down a couple minutes ago to fix a major bug that I missed in one of the external files that was messing up the program. You probably hit the link then. Sorry for the uncertanty, I still haven't got much of a clue how this thing works.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
The link doesn't work because you've given us a local IP address (which, coincidentally, is the IP address of the PC I'm typing on right now).

[edit] Actually mine is 192.168.1.3, so it was close.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#6]
Any suggestion on how I might be able to fix that? (I'm using HFS suggested to me by Czar Flavius)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#7]
First you need to know your global IP. You can usually find this in your router settings, or click here. Use this in the URL you give to us, instead of your local IP.

Second, you will need to set up port forwarding for HTTP requests - in your router settings, forward requests to Port 80, to 192.168.2.3, if that's where the file is and where HFS is running.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#8]
(Another broken link)

terribly sorry about all this, haven't worked much with uploading files before.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#9]
Still doesn't work - server doesn't respond so I'd guess its one of three things:

1. You have a firewall blocking port 80 requests.
2. You haven't set up port forwarding properly.
3. You don't have HFS running.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#10]
I've never had issues with my firewall before (I don't believe it's even running) and HFS is open. I think it's pobably #2 seeing how I haven't got much of an idea what it is.

I'm on a router network and I know my host's IP. What do I do from here?

(thanks for your help BTW)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#11]
Open your web browser and type in http://localhost/3D%20Golf.zip (%20 is hexadecimal for character 32 (a space)).

If that works, you've set up HFS properly, and its a port forwarding problem.

Basically your global IP address consists of loads of different ports - port 80 being for HTTP requests. Normally when your router receives something on port 80, it goes "OMG?! I dunno what to do with this!" and ignores the request.

If you've set up port forwarding it goes "Ah, a port 80 request. It says in my settings that I have to forward this to local IP 192.168.2.3 because that's the IP of the PC where the user has his web server (HFS) running".

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#12]
Yes, I've successfully downloaded the file on my own computer. THat's what you mean, right?

Hopefully nothing needs to be done on the computer hosting the network for port forwarding - the host is not currently present. In fact, she just left.

So how exactly do I set up port forwarding, anyway?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#13]
It varies from one router to the next. It normally explains it briefly in the instruction manual. Failing that, there might be an FAQ on the router manufacturer's website regarding port forwarding. Failing that type in "port forwarding <whatever make and model your router is>" into Google.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#14]
Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I get the chance to do that tomorrow.

Yan(Posted 2008) [#15]
This site will walk you through the procedure for many of the routers available on the market.

Also, unless you have a static external IP, you may want to look at using something like this as well.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#16]
Well, I kind of gave up on that. Try this

GfK(Posted 2008) [#17]
Doesn't work; "Failed to set display mode"

Did you know you left the source code in the archive? Anyway I had a look and it seems you're trying to force a 400x300 resolution. Maybe go for something a bit more 'standard' like 800x600?

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#18]
The source was intentional; I'm not trying to sell anything, I was going to put it in the code archives or something when it was through.

http://www.uploading.com/files/RSF6S5PE/Golf_3D_Tech_Demo.zip.html

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#19]
goes to a blank screen then locks up Blitz so I have to do an endtask to get rid of it. Might need work.

Pineapple(Posted 2008) [#20]
Meh, in the time it took to figure all this out I moved on to something else. Expect it in the Blitz Showcase when it's complete. And which link did you use? Make sure you downloaded the most recent one; I know the one before had that problem.