Reading Registry Keys

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Reading Registry Keys

pexe(Posted 2008) [#1]
I got some decls from COde Archives.. but no one worked with me..

The problem is.. i'm trying to read a subkey from my registry with Blitz. How can i do that?

By the way.. the key is: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\Messenger Plus! Live\mscansian@...

I need to read the value from that key and put it on a string :)

thanks for helping!

Phil Newton(Posted 2008) [#2]
(This was far longer than I intended, but hopefully it covers everything you'll need :))

I don't have Messenger Plus installed, so I can't check, but is LogsDirectory a key or a field? I'm guessing it's a field, in which case the following should work. I'm also going to guess that the field is of type REG_EXPAND_SZ. What that means is the key will contain something like "%USERPROFILE%" as well as the path. I'm pretty sure the code in the archives doesn't handle that key type. I've included a function to sort out the paths too :)

Anyway, hopefully the code below will help out:

AdvApi32.decls
.lib "advapi32.dll"

AdvApi32_RegOpenKey%(hKey%, subKey$, result*):"RegOpenKeyA"
AdvApi32_RegCloseKey%(hKey%):"RegCloseKey"
AdvApi32_RegQueryValueEx%(hKey%, lpValueName$, lpReserved%, lpType*, lpData*, lpcbData*):"RegQueryValueExA"

Helper functions:

And finally, an example or two :)
; Include your helper functions here

Print AA32_GetRegistryKey(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes", "InstallTheme")
Print AA32_GetRegistryKey(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, "Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General", "Wallpaper")

If you get a result that contains "%USERPROFILE%" or similar, the code below can be used to get the actual value:

Kernel32.decls
.lib "kernel32.dll"

Kernel32_ExpandEnvironmentStrings%(inputString$, outputBank*, maxSize%):"ExpandEnvironmentStringsA"

Helper function and examples:

Hope that helps!

pexe(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yep.. that worked :D

thks!