BlitzPlay Pro should become open source

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/BlitzPlay Pro should become open source

LogBomb(Posted 2008) [#1]
BlitzPlay Pro has been unavailable to purchase for a long time now ... years.

I vote it should be freely available, as I am unable to get it even though I have the money.

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#2]
Just a bit of free advice, LogBomb. You won't get far on these forums asking people to pirate software for you; irregardless of how poorly supported, or apparently abandoned, that software is.

I'd suggest you look at one of the other libraries for networking, in the code archives or toolbox sections of this site.

LogBomb(Posted 2008) [#3]
It has been abandoned for years. On the forum for blitz play, there a posts about players who have even purchased it and not recieved the product.

I am no Pirate, what I would like to see is it become open source.

LogBomb

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#4]
You're not?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
LineOf7s is right. Just because someone's stopped selling a product doesn't give anybody the right to pirate it.

LogBomb(Posted 2008) [#6]
Is anyone still in contact with Surreal then?

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#7]
No, no-one (that's admitting to it) is.

A shame, he is/was a nice fella.

Whilst I sympathise, it's still no excuse to hand out years of his hard work without his permission though.

If you need a nice B3D-native solution for your networking, RottNet is very well done, and the developer is active and responds to email requests.

If all you need BPPro for is to compile some other program... well I'm afraid you're out of luck. Perhaps someone with BPPro could compile it for you, maybe.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#8]
I am no Pirate, but if the software is abandoned then how are you supposed to get it?

Copyright is copyright... Just because it's not being sold by the creator does not give anyone else the rights to create copies.

Asking for and/or receiving copy from someone else would make you a pirate, regardless of whether or not you would have been willing to pay for it.

LogBomb(Posted 2008) [#9]
Fair enough.

popcade(Posted 2008) [#10]
In the last conversation with Surreal, he palnned to close his website and stop continuing BlitzPlay development.

However since then he stopped responding to any mail/IM and the site was left as it was till gone.

It's a pity for the nice library anyway.

cyrille(Posted 2008) [#11]
in the last conversation with sunreal (one year) perharps continuing blitzplay ;).

so contact him, more people... equal perharps Blitzplay... continuing.