Raycaster?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Raycaster?

D2(Posted 2007) [#1]
I want to make a simple raycasted game akin to Wolfenstein or Blake Stone. I want to make it with walls, floors and cielings, but that's about as complicated as it needs to be. Anyone know of any raycasting engines/source code for Blitz?

Any idea how do program weapons, enemies, powerups, etc?

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#2]
Knowing that elsewhere you were asking for tutors: get Blitz3d or Max+3dmod, and use the 3d engine to build your levels. Or dunno, game builders perhaps?

There's little point in trying games/engines/algorithms when you're not up to it, and I doubt someone would be able to explain those things to you if at the same time you're asking for tutors. Blitz isn't a game language, it's a normal procedural BASIC'esque programming language with a gfx-lib aimed for easy game creating, but still you need to code every bit yourself. This is the primary thing that's often misunderstood, and I've seen this *so* many times in the past years..
Of course, with training you can get everywhere you want, but it's just that: training, small steps at a time and don't rush it. Wolf3d sounds a bit like rushing to me, tbh. :P

D2(Posted 2007) [#3]
I guess you're right. I'll practice with B+ an do it myself :)

b32(Posted 2007) [#4]
Well, there are some tutorials online about raycasters. I found this one:
http://www.permadi.com/tutorial/raycast/

I wrote this code, if you run it, you'll see a rotating shape.
Then, uncomment the commands in STEP 2 and run it again.
After that, uncomment the commands in STEP 3 and run.

Not sure if that is the way to make a raycaster, but from this, I built a sort-of wolfenstein-like program under dos.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#5]
How would you do that and make a cube instead?