AutoComplete in a TextField

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/AutoComplete in a TextField

Jonathan Nguyen(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hey guys, I've been trying to program a auto-complete feature for a text field in BlitzPlus but it's proving to be a little difficult. At first I tried to mimic the type of auto-complete in Excel where the filled-in text by the auto-complete is selected so that you can override it if you choose to keep typing. However I can't find a way of selected specific text in BlitzPlus so I scrapped that. The other route I took is a sort of Internet Explorer auto-complete where a combo or list box shows up next to the text field with possible matches. That works fine but what I can't get working is selecting stuff in the combo box from the text field. This should be really simple in that I simply look for up, down, and enter key its to control the combo box but from what I can tell I simply can't get those key hits when typing into a text field. I've tried using KeyHit, KeyDown, event ID $101, event ID $401, etc. Nothing will register the up, down, and enter key hits while typing into a text field. Does anyone know a way around this or a better way to go about the whole thing?

Edit: I found this, http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=56161 , but I don't think that's going to help with the use of the arrow keys. There isn't a button anyway.