notepad?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/notepad?

arget brisingr(Posted 2007) [#1]
I could not find one but is there a way to make a notepad type program with blitz plus? What I need is a toolbar with file (open, save, and save as) help (help). I know how to make a toolbar but how do I make a text field? This is very close to what I want start>run>cmd>edit

Timjo(Posted 2007) [#2]
You've tempted me - what's it mean?

arget brisingr(Posted 2007) [#3]
What does what mean?

JaviCervera(Posted 2007) [#4]
Use the CreateTextArea function.

Alaric(Posted 2007) [#5]
good luck adding any sort of advanced feature though...

arget brisingr(Posted 2007) [#6]
Ok I tryed that but what is a group? CreateTextArea(x,y,width,height,group)

Alaric(Posted 2007) [#7]
by group it means parent gadget, like a window or something. You can't just have a single text box floating in the middle of nowhere on the computer screen (well you could, but it wouldn't be very useful). You need to give it a parent that can control it. Use the createwindow function for this (and either leave its group parameter as 0 or set it to desktop()).

Timjo(Posted 2007) [#8]
First create your window:
my_window=createwindow("my application",x,y,width,height,desktop(),style) ;attaches the window to desktop

Then a canvas if you need it:
my_canvas=createcanvas(0,0,clientwidth(my_window),clientheight(my_window),my_window,style) ; attaches the canvas to my_window

Now you can attach your textarea either to the window or the canvas (if you created the canvas). - In exactly the same way as you attached the canvas to my_window - so that my_window becomes the parent of my_canvas.

The 'group' refers to the handle that was passed to your variables (my_canvas or my_window - as above) when you created them - this will be the parent of your textarea.
So replace 'group' below with either my_window or my_canvas - which ever you want to attach it to..

my_textarea=createtextarea(x,y,width,height,group,style)