Future Developments?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Future Developments?

mattm591(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,
I was just wondering if any new functions or developments were planned for BlitzPlus or if update 144 is going to be it.
Cheers,
Matt

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#2]
I wouldn't count on it -but what do I know-. Dunno whether you have BMax, but that's pretty much a future to count with.

Alaric(Posted 2007) [#3]
yeah... this is part of the reason that I'm trying to switch more into C++, it's free and is constantly being updated. I don't have the money to spend on a new programming language every few years.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#4]
BlitzMax will have a long future, as its not a 'closed' language as B+ and BB3D are. It has a very thin core, and any kind of modules can be added to it (as you see already).

Also, owners of B+ get the MaxGUI module for free.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#5]
Is that last statement still valid? I remember a thread in the bmax section from skid requesting Maxgui owners (based on the B+ buid) to buy it..

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#6]
The offer is still on the products page, so I would say yes.

mattm591(Posted 2007) [#7]
Can you link me to some more information on getting MaxGui free if you own plus. This might just tempt me to switch to BlitzMax.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#8]
Well, there isn't actually anything to download via a link for MaxGUI. Its acquired via Blitzmax's Syncmods feature.

In Blitzmax IDE, Click 'Sync Modules', and it will ask for your forum login and password. Once you've done that, it will download any available updates. I would assume that if you're a registered user of Blitzplus, the MaxGUI module would be automagically installed at this point, too.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#9]
If you have B+ then you have a BUID for B+. If you order BMax you get a BUID for BMax, so you have 2 BUIDS. IIRC everything went automatic from there. Actually I don't even remember that part anymore.. :P But it went all quite easy. Perhaps syncmod checks checks your account, if it sees B+ or MaxGUI it downloads the MaxGUI part. I dunno, it just works. I can recommend BMax for all ppl who have outgrown the classic procedural Blitzes. Tho you won't really get new gadgets eh, it's just B+ but then with BMax flavor. It is however quite easy to make your own gadgets that function as streamlined as native gadgets. Using events and hooks you can just create some gadget, and the rest works as identical as using a typical B+ button, or scrollbar etc.

mattm591(Posted 2007) [#10]
I want it for more advanced tcp function mainly. Does it have this/

Space Fractal(Posted 2007) [#11]
One of the mayor feature removed from blitz+ is movie support. Here you need to create an dll wrapper or such to get it back again. There are threads about that.

BlitzMax sound is also only support ogg and wav, but not a big issue for creating game. Mp3 is not supported due to patent licence (as they wont pay).

It also works a a lots better on Vista (and also can compile to Linux and Mac as well. (since my blitz+ app have some graphics and any strange things on my Vista RC1).

It may have that ColorMask issue I saw on a another thread about it on a NVidia Card.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#12]
Space Fractal - blitz+ movie support is broken anyway - see my thread in the bug forums - closing the movie does not free the video memory used when opening/playing it and so repeatedly playing a movie will cause the system to crash..eventually.