.XML

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/.XML

Ked(Posted 2007) [#1]
Is there anyway for BlitzBasic/Plus/3D to call .XML files to be used as skins? I noticed that Yahoo Messenger did that and thought that if BlitzBasic/Plus/3D could do that also it would be very easy to do.

Alaric(Posted 2007) [#2]
good luck... you'll probably either have to parse it yourself or find a library to do this in C++ and then write a userlib to call the functions in the library...

Blueapples(Posted 2007) [#3]
You can't "call" an XML file. XML is a data description language, it doesn't define imperative code to be run. That'd be like, for instance, running an INI file. Can't do it, nothing to run.

What you need to do is find an XML library so your BlitzPlus code can read XML files and decide what to do with what they contain.

Alaric(Posted 2007) [#4]
yeah, I understand that. To read the file you have to parse the script (it is an interpreted language somewhat similar to html correct?) and get the information out of the lines of code and apply what it describes to your program. So, like I was saying, you have to either parse the file yourself to retrieve and apply the changes described by the language, or you can get a C++ library that will do this for you and make a userlib out of it. But who knows, if you get lucky then there may be something in the code archives.

Alaric(Posted 2007) [#5]
hmm... wow, guess that I should have taken my own advice before I posted. http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1393. It looks like this code will do what you're looking for.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#6]
I think I found out that Yahoo! Messenger also uses skinning DLLs to actually skin the application. But I'm not sure.