Does Blitz support 64bit machines?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Does Blitz support 64bit machines?

sswift(Posted 2006) [#1]
I had a customer tell me they just upgraded to a 64bit machine, and Seamless Texture Generator doesn't work anymore.

I use the Freeimage.dll for loading images, so the problem could either be with Blitz, or with the DLL, or with Blitz interfacing with the DLL on a 64bit machine.

Does anyone know if Freeimage works on 64bit machines, and if it does, did it not work on them a year or two ago?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#2]
Blitzmax works fine, can't speak for the others.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#3]
I've got a 64bit laptop which works fine with both blitz3d and blitzplus. I think both blitz3d & blitzplus have had updates to do with 'writepixelfast/readpixelfast' on 64bit machines although I could be wrong.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hm... I'll have to check the changelog and see if there was such an update and when it was to see if maybe I need to recompile.

[edit]
Nope. Can't find a mention of it anywhere.
[/edit]

Floyd(Posted 2006) [#5]
The only problem with 64-bit machines was Data Execution Prevention. This is mentioned in the blitz versions.txt file as DEP. I think writepixel et al used some self-modifying code.

DEP can be turned off for individual apps, but a recompile would be the better solution.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#6]
Yes but wouldn't DEP result in the application shutting down? The problem this fellow is having is the app runs, but the window that shows the texture is black.

Also DEP fix says it was for SP2 and I've not had anyone using that complain.

Floyd(Posted 2006) [#7]
I'm not sure what an offending app would do.

I have a new Athlon 64 dual core system. I just tried the demo STGDEMO.exe, dated 8/16/2005. Loading a sample and creating a texture works with DEP on or off. So I don't know what the problem could be.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2006) [#8]
Looks like a driver issue. Win64 require 64-bit drivers which aren't always good.

To be fair if I were you I'd offer a refund. 64 bit windows customers are going to be VERY thin on the ground, and the rare people who do have problems - give them a refund. Most win64 users will be fine.

sswift(Posted 2006) [#9]
OEJ:
If I offered refunds for every user who bought it when they were using regular windows and then upgraded down the road, I'd lose all my profits. :-)

Floyd:
I'll suggest that he upgrade his graphics drivers.