Array Question?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Array Question?

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#1]
Okay, what's the best way to find a line of identical data in an array's list.

I've already got something working, with a (canny) few For... Next loops to check left/right/up/down and diagnally, up to 4 elements in the array, but this seems overkill.

Is there a quicker way, because my mind cannot comprehend it at the moment... yep, I have a hangover! :)

Thanks in advance

Dabz

Rob Farley(Posted 2006) [#2]
Really the only way of doing it is loop through each cell and check if it in all directions. Of course a marginal optimisation would be to mark the ones checked so it won't do the same cell twice. That said connect 4 has so few cells in it I think you'd be hard pressed to call this a bottleneck.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#3]
I presume you mean a 2D array or single array that's displayed as a 2D grid or something (you weren't entirely clear). But basically you only really need to check for horizontal/vertical and diagonal. shouldn't different checks for left and right, and for up and down...

Pineapple(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks chaps, I sorted it... I've mangaged to check along all directions of the array. Which is nice.

It's a weird feeling when you know how to do something, but you forget, and you try to dig it back out! :) lol

Dabz