sprite circling around fixed point

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/sprite circling around fixed point

superjossy(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

I would like some help with creating code that has a sprite circling around a fixed point but its radius adjusts in and out with a key press and maintains the same time per revolution or thereabouts. I have been playing with some sin cos code found on this forum but cannot figure out how to do it and have the sprite return to its same starting point every time.

thanks

Cheers superjossy

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#2]
Graphics 640,480

SetBuffer BackBuffer()

timer=CreateTimer(30)
amplitude=10
HidePointer
Repeat
	WaitEvent()
	If EventID()=$4001
		If KeyDown(203) amplitude=amplitude+1
		If KeyDown(205)
			amplitude=amplitude-1
			If amplitude<10 amplitude=10
		EndIf

Cls

pointx=MouseX()
		pointy=MouseY()

path=(path+5) Mod 360

objx=Sin(path)*amplitude
		objy=Cos(path)*amplitude

Color 255,255,255		
		Oval pointx-2,pointy-2,5,5

Color 255,0,0
		Oval pointx+objx-2,pointy+objy-2,5,5
		Text 0,0,"use cursor left/right"
		Flip
	EndIf
Until KeyHit(1)
End

superjossy(Posted 2006) [#3]
Thanks CS_TBL

The code is just perfect for what I want!

Can you explain the Mode 360? why is it needed?

regards superjossy

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#4]
mod returns the remainder when the left hand value is divided by the right hand value e.g. 400 Mod 360 will return 40. 3601 Mod 360 will return 1 etc.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#5]
You don't need mod if you only use it for a short amount of time. In theory path could go up to the billions before it wraps to -billions. I'm sure that jump wouldn't look nice, so by modulo'ing I make sure the path-value *always* stays within the range of a circle, whatever happens.

Make sure tho that if you circle the other way (path=path-5) that you actually ADD 360-5 rather than -5. This makes sure the path value stays within 0..360, negative values are different when modulo'ing them. I made an ultimate mod (tm) once which also accepts negative values and keeping them in the 'same line' with positive values, dunno where it is atm.. :P

superjossy(Posted 2006) [#6]
Thanks for that!

I have played with the code to get it to circle the other way when the space bar is pressed.

Thanks CS_TBL and Grey Alien for your help.