TCP Connection Over Internet

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/TCP Connection Over Internet

SebHoll(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,
You know when you are transferring large memory banks over a Blitz established TCP connection over the internet [Using WriteBytes() and ReadBytes()], what exactly happens??? Over a LAN it doesn't really matter because the transfer speeds are too fast to notice, but over an internet connection (e.g. broadband 1Mbps Download/256kbps Upload)... If both the computers had the same speed connection what would happen?

Prediction of chain of events when sending file
================================
*File is in a memory bank at a "server".
*File is sent using WriteBytes() to a pre-established TCP stream.
*File is being uploaded @ 256kbps to a memory buffer.
*"Client" begins to download file (ReadBytes()) @ 1Mbps and catches up to already uploaded data.
*Client download speed is reduced to 256kbps to keep in line with incoming stream.
*Once "client" has received last bit of data the program moves onto next command.

================================
End of Prediction

Or alternatively, does the client wait until all of the data is uploaded before it starts to download it... I'm confused - could someone please clear this up for me as I'm trying to do a progress bar for sending large files across a connection and looping through a file byte by byte takes wayyyyyy too long. ReadBytes()/WriteBytes() is fast enough but I can't find a way to find out how much data has been sent or received until the command has completed. (The program halts until the ReadBytes() or WriteBytes() command has completed).

Any ideas? - Thanks in advance

Seb

Sub_Zero(Posted 2005) [#2]
I guess the data is being stored in chunks directly to memory (the bank) when recieved, probaby packet by packet.

The tcp protocol discards packets when the transfer rate is too high, and therefore adjusts the speed, but this is handled at a lower level.

For the progressbar, Try something like this:

lastpos = 0
pbsize = filelen/256
pbinc# = 1/pbsize

for curpos = 256 to filelen step 256
   WriteBytes bank,tcpstream,lastpos,curpos
    updateprogbar progbar,pbinc#
    lastpos = curpos
  next

Arem(Posted 2005) [#3]
Just send the filesize of the file over before you start actually sending the file. Then they receiver will know how far along the progress is.

Andy UK(Posted 2005) [#4]
Why TCP was ever included in the basic language structure i will never know. Due to TCP's nature and the fact that Blitz cannot multithread, a slow TCP connection to a Blitz server app will almost deffinately stall/slow it down. Its unavoidable so do yourself and anybody else reading this post a favour and use UDP. Its easier to use and you can emulate a mutithreaded server without the hicups. You will have to implement your own error checking but thats half the fun. I suppose TCP has its uses in Blitz but i cant imagine it being anything serious. Oh and i have managed to fully traverse a nat/router without having to open any ports whatsoever! Works on 98/me/2k/xp/xp64/vista and its really easy. I just read about nat and how it works, then it came to me on the toilet one night. UDP and Blitz combined can produce serious online networked apps!

Wings(Posted 2006) [#5]
Real men code in TCP !
TCP is good if one know how to code it.

TCP is verry diferent from UDP.

I recomend use static size of every TCP message.
that way tcp works as good as UDP in blitz.

Like only tcp command i use today for sending data is.
readavail(128) ;For a 128 byte packet.
writebyteS () command.

Common mistakes !
NeverUse:
WriteByte()
WriteLINE()
WriteINT()
(the command above is no good for fast gaming.)
not using readavail() = Will slow down main.

Yes UDP is simpler but not safe ! and packets may come out corrupt,disorted etc.

RGR(Posted 2006) [#6]

Last edited 2012

DjBigWorm(Posted 2006) [#7]
RaGR, This is some great insite. Can you post some simple code for me to look at. It Sounds like you know what you are talking about, and I would love to learn form a blitz working example. Thank You