LAN Play

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/LAN Play

kfprimm(Posted 2005) [#1]
For the game i am currently working on i want to have LAN play in but i want the user to be able to chose a game to join. I can do this with StartNetGame() but i dont want them to have the option to create a new game. In short, i need a way to find the games currently in progress on a LAN.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#2]
Gnet?

S_Seth(Posted 2005) [#3]
I use the UDP coding for my LAN/online coding and it works fairly well. My system is pretty basic at the moment but I use types to keep track of all the current players, and use the players IPs as identifiers. Anyway, with UDP, a hosting player makes the game and joining players use his IP to join the game that he has made. When they join, a new player is created in the type, and their IP is taken down in one of the fields. I didnt explain it very well, but does it sound like something you'd be interested in?

Arem(Posted 2005) [#4]
Ping flood the lan. When you find a computer, try to open a connection and if it works, try to initialize a conversation with your game server. You could have a special login message or something. If that works, you know there is a game on the IP.