UCP &TCP

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/UCP &TCP

kfprimm(Posted 2005) [#1]
What is the differnce between UDP and TCP?

Kevin_(Posted 2005) [#2]
1) Open a web browser
2) Type in www.google.com
3) Type in "UDP and TCP explanation" in the search box
4) Look at the results and take your pick

Simple when you know how.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
so ... TCP = constant connection for data transfer (I use this for my client server database apps)
UDP = send packet for other machine to receive, no constant connection.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#4]
Um, no, gray alien.... TCP is actually built on UDP. UDP is just a packeting and i think routing protocol. no guarantees about packet order or even if it gets to the destination. UDP is usually ideal for games because if you have to wait to resend something, usually the data doesn't matter anymore anyway. TCP ensures that packets arrive in order, that they actually arrive, and probably does some other handy utility stuff like timing.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#5]
Bot B: The funny thing is that I had to program a TCP/IP data transfer for networks in Delphi and you had to open a socket to the other machine which had to accept it (hense the constant connection bit) then send your data. If the data packet was larger than around 8K it would fragment and there was no guarantee of the order and sometimes you even got dupes! This fragmentation sounds more like UDP. Also if the connection was lost the socket component generated an error and you had to reconnect.

btw I clicked the first link on a google search and it seemed to concur with the TCP being constant but I guess maybe it depends on how you define "constant" ;-)

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#6]
Search www.wikipedia.org when in doubt.