Extremely Large Images

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Extremely Large Images

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#1]
I need to be able to save out extremely large images, and FreeImage just isn't doing it :/ It saves the images up to a certain size, but won't go any higher (gives a "Failed save" error) Any ideas?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#2]
What do you mean "FreeImage" isn't doing it?

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#3]
The free image library that saves out JPGs, TGAs, and PNGs

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#4]
I must be dumb, but I still don't know what you are talking about, sorry.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#5]
S'alright, I need to figure out how to get a 22,000+ wide by 16,000+ tall image to save without an error, lol.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#6]
Maybe add some ram to your computer? You are talking about a requirement of 1.5 Gigabytes for that resolution.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#7]
I have 2 GB :/

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#8]
that's pretty big (said the nun to the bishop)

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#9]
Given FreeImage will be trying to allocate it's own copy you're going to need double that. Also, seeing as compression would seem to be a completely pointless waste of time (as in why introduce huge delays when you obviously have the resources to manage uncompressed sizes) you would be better off IMHO to just save the raw image:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#10]
ok, I think I got it, thank you! Since the images are such high resolution, I can half it and it works beautifully. Thank you for the link too!

Russell(Posted 2005) [#11]
Tyler, I don't get your sig. When I click it, I just go to the start page for a forum with no mention of the alphabet that I can see...

Russell

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#12]
P.S. is a sequence of letters with Q and R removed, are you a programmer or what? ;-)

Russell(Posted 2005) [#13]
Sorry, not following you. Is the answer in the link or in the sentence?

Russell

Russell(Posted 2005) [#14]
Ok, if you mean P * * S (q and r missing), then the sig is still wrong.

P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated

Actually, the alphabet would look like abcdefghijklmnopstuvwxyz. But I'm splitting hairs, I know ;)

Russell

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#15]
See, that was more of a programmerly response :D BTW, if you're having trouble with images being too big for blitz to handle ... use the FreeImage library by Mr. Snarty! Thank you again!

Arem(Posted 2005) [#16]
Savebuffer??? Then save to jpeg with photoshop\the Gimp?