Phobos

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Phobos

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Where is OpenGL Phobos? I would really like to use it.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#2]
You are not allowed to.

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#3]
Any plans on a license arrangement?

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#4]
If you downloaded it when it was first posted, you are free to use it as you please under the original license (which subsequently changed five or six times after the original posting of it). Phobos was one of those times where Halo released something and kept changing the license and tried to make the new license retroactive. ;c)

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#5]
ah, well. I'll have to search for something else then. But I would trust halo's Phobos more.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#6]
You might try emailing Halo. At one point he was willing to license the last version of "phobos" for individual games. He told me $100 for a freeware game I had in mind. However, everytime I have saved up the $$ something has come up and I had to spend the $$ on something else. It is very full-featured.

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#7]
Does it work with BMax too? if it does then he could be selling plenty.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#8]
No, YOU personally are not allowed to use it because I don't like you.

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#9]
So I'm officially on halo's NO list. Too bad, less business for halo.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#10]
If you want the original phobos along with its non-restricted license, I will be happy find it for you and post it for you, xmlpspy. You can legally use it and Halo can't say squat. Licenses cannot be made retroactive.

Does it work with BMax too?
I doubt it. Most of phobos was taken directly from Peter's OGL Wrappers and the opensource GL engine code that Anthony posted on Blitz coder. BMax already has wrappers for GL built in (my understanding from the featurelist), so all you would need to do is convert Ant's "engine" (entity, etc.) code over to BMax.

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#11]
Sure, that sounds great.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#12]
btw, what did you do to get on Halo's "list"? lol

*edit* It may take me a couple of days to find it. I have a lot of backups to sift through...

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#13]
You are actually confusing the "Phobos" license with something else. I never released any license for it except a note saying "you can't use this without written permission".

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#14]
There were two versions you released of Phobos. The original version (The one I am referring to) was 100% done in Blitz Plus (lots of decls) but this was before you put the majority of functions in a DLL. When you released all this code, this was the one that changed licenses like five times in two days ;c) The DLL version you later released was definitely "you can't use this without written permission".

Personally, I gave up and bought this Book on OpenGL so I could learn it myself and write my own OpenGL stuff. Extremely good book and well worth the $$. IMHO better than the rewrite of it that they are releasing in two parts.

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#15]
oh, ok. Well, I'm starting to use Nehe and C++, forget the Phobos thing, not worth it.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#16]
forget the Phobos thing, not worth it.
I agree ;c)

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#17]
haha halo your such a special needs kid