BP updates to come

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/BP updates to come

morduun(Posted 2005) [#1]
I completely do not understand why this was posted in OT and not here, but I'm sure there are other B+ users who don't travel OT regularly and so would probably like to know this.

skidracer (Posted 2005-01-12 18:57:20)
Despite being halfassed and all, here is a list of things that are new to the BlitzPlus module that will find their way back into BlitzPlus (plus a few optimizations I managed to make) after we nail the win32/linux BlitzMax release.

' SelectTextAreaText for setting selection region / cursor position
' CreateWindow style=64 for starting a window hidden
' TextArea upgraded to RichText2 control, note: chr(10)->chr(13) for EOL
' implemented FreeMenu
' hotkey code now uses GetKeyState to avoid focus change bugs
' fixed htmlview Navigate event bug
' fixed LoadGuiFont / RequestFont to use point size for size parameter
' RequestFont now has option font parameter
' stopped window maximizing generating EVENT_WINDOWMOVE
' panelstyle=2 for mouseevents

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#2]
only real useful one in there is
' CreateWindow style=64 for starting a window hidden

well at least that i noticed

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#3]
hotkey code now uses GetKeyState to avoid focus change bugs

Nice, but does this also work with keydown/keyhit ?

Wiebo(Posted 2005) [#4]
panelstyle = 2 is also very good to have!

Mr Brine(Posted 2005) [#5]
I know it aint no requests thread, but I thourght of a cool one.

how about having a new style option for labels to make em act like a hypertext link? you could link it to a $401 event when a user clicks it and load eventsource() with the label pointer.

I reckon that would be pretty cool

Kevin_(Posted 2005) [#6]
Out of the requests that people have made for BlitzPlus in the past, this is all that we are going to get?

I'm dissapointed.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#7]
Yes, printer support would have been nice.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#8]
As soon as BM is officially released for Windows *and* there's GUI support out-of-the-box (not some random GUI, like those many GUIs for the old Blitz2d/3d, but the native Windows GUI), I'll step over to BM, but until that moment I'd prefer B+ to become a bit more decent on various aspects..

morduun(Posted 2005) [#9]
Out of the requests that people have made for BlitzPlus in the past, this is all that we are going to get?

That summed up my reaction pretty concisely. Wouldn't be so bad if skid hadn't gone out of his way to ask what it was we wanted to see about 9 months ago, but since he did, and given the amount of feedback in that thread, the results do seem a bit feeble.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#10]
That list represents what I have needed to do in order to get the BlitzMAX IDE running properly using a BlitzPlus module I have developed for BlitzMax.

Next week will be the first opportunity I have been given to work on BlitzPlus itself which will include merging the above fixes/additions and implementing as many as possible of the feature requests from the sticky thread.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#11]
Thanks for the response skid.

morduun(Posted 2005) [#12]
Nice to hear, skid. Thanks for the reply.

Kevin_(Posted 2005) [#13]
Great news Skid!

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#14]
Sounds great, look forward to it! Any fixes going to be made? Lots of people seem to want windows features but I would really like to see some IDE improvements and stuff for making games rock!

Seldon(Posted 2005) [#15]
Hi Skid!
Any chance to have a memory-buffer option for LoadImage() command ?? I mean to pass a memory buffer (Blitz bank or a pointer from a RC_BITMAP or RC_DATA entry) instead of a file name. Thanks.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#16]
While you're adding things, could you improve the file open/save dialog so you can use pipes in the file types field like you would in the .net framewaork to add custom names for each file type?

I would like to be able to do something like this:

"Supported Image Formats|jpg;jpeg;bmp;tga;png;tif;tiff,Jpeg|jpg;jpeg,All Files|*.*"

Oh and btw, if I am not mistaken, using *.* in the field here would only list files that have an extension. But in Windows, doing dir *.* results in all files being listed, even those without an extension. And programs like Photoshop also list *.* as being the wildcard for listing all files. So it would be nice if Blitz allowed me to do that, because just having * as a selectable file type looks weird.

Also, there is a bit of a glitch with the ; parameter in the above.

In order to use it, the first file extension must not have a *. in front of it, but all the later ones must have that.

Ie:
"jpg;*.jpeg;*.tga;*.png"

That results in the jpg in the combobox looking different than all the other extensions. It would be nice if you could either fix it so the jpg on the front could have a *. in front of it without messing everything up and/or you could omit the *. from all the extensions entirely.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#17]
Here's another couple requests:

Toolbars - Why only horizontal? And why only one row?
It would be useful to be able to have vertical toolbars.

Tabbers - Currently, the style parameter isn't used. The tabs are square... It would be nice if you could change the style to have tabs that have one edge at an angle like one might find on a folder. I'm pretty sure windows supports this with the default controls, because photoshop uses it.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#18]
Photoshop uses a lot of custom gadgets AFAIK.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#19]
A toolbar can be made yourself easily.. I never use toolbars, while I do use strips of any size with clickable images that act as buttons ..

sswift(Posted 2005) [#20]
Well yes, you could make your own, but isn't the point of Blitz to make things easier for you?

Does me no good for it to have built in gadgets if they're so limited in what they can do that I have to code around them! :-)

Not that I'm implying most of the gadgets are useless. It does pretty much everything I need, there's just a few things here and there that would put icing on the cake so to speak.

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#21]
My point is more that *if* Sibly has 10 minutes of spare-time he could spend on B+ updates then I rather wish for something radically new than something I could make myself already :)

sswift(Posted 2005) [#22]
You know what we need?

We need those little rectangles with the indented or black borders that can "contain" things and have a little bit of text on the right side of the top line of the rectangle.

Like this:

.- Stuff! -------.
|                |
|                |
|                |
|                |
.________________.

That certainly would be radically new!

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#23]
Oh come on... a panel surrounded by 4 or 8 canvases :)

I've such a thing (be it a bit different) for quite some while already, mine has borders based on a stretched phong-sphere, looks nice ^_^ ..

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#24]
sswift - if you use GUIde you can have those panels, and many other fancy extras not standard in B+.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#25]
Beaker:
My application is so simple, it really doesn't warrant using a GUI editor to create it.

Plus I really needed to learn about all these BlitzPlus gadgets, and just because a GUI lib supports a certain type of gadget doesn't mean that support for that gadget should not be built into the language. :-)

That said, I did look at the GUIde website before I decided to code the stuff manually. It looked like a good tool, but I figured I'd have more control coding it manually, and I don't wish to go back now and rediesng everything in a form editor.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#26]
"Oh come on... a panel surrounded by 4 or 8 canvases"

... sounds slow and ugly to code. :-)

CS_TBL(Posted 2005) [#27]
ugly to code? Not at all.., just take a look at my gadget tutorial (in the B+ tutorial) .. that's exactly how it's done.

A gadget like that would prolly work like:

mybox=CreateBox("title",x,y,width,height,parent,type[,image]) ; returns a panelhandle

and in use:
button=CreateButton("bla",32,32,64,48,mybox)

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#28]
You know what we need?

We need those little rectangles with the indented or black borders that can "contain" things and have a little bit of text on the right side of the top line of the rectangle.

I have been asking for proper group boxes since B+'s release. The lack of support for "standard" gadgets in B+ was (and remains) disappointing.

B+ pretty much killed Blitz for me and is the sole reason I bought (and mainly use) PureBasic now. Blitz UI does make B+ usable, but that usability does come at a slight performance cost.

if you use GUIde you can have those panels
I looked at that years ago, but the author has yet to release a fully working demo version. Until there is actually a demo version that I can use and see how it works in "real" use, I won't buy it.

Orca(Posted 2005) [#29]
I think its really silly to code something like that ourselves using canvas's.

Its a windows gadget, its in just about every windows application I've seen, and there's no reason why blitz plus shouldn't have it natively.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#30]
Its a windows gadget, its in just about every windows application I've seen, and there's no reason why blitz plus shouldn't have it natively.
Blitz Plus is not alone in the lack of natively supported gadgets. For example, the GUI editor for IBasic Pro does NOT support Tabs and does NOT support tooltips for buttons (neither does B+) and these are both features that have been "standard" in Windows since Windows 95 was released. Each language seems to leave various gadgets out and you have to code them by hand or via the API. I guess it is asking too much for a language to actually fully support the OS it is designed for. PureBasic seems to do a better job than most languages in this aspect, but it too, has its faults.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#31]
If you ran another DX app, your "gadgets" would suddenly be all corrupted-looking.

Plus it is slow and shitty to do that.