Peer-to-peer?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Peer-to-peer?

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is there any way to get a list of people running the same app, without referring to a GNET-type server?

mattm591(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm very interested in this as well.. does anyone know?

Kevin_(Posted 2005) [#3]
I dont know about a GNET-type server but you could just have an ascii file on some web space somewhere and as long as you have access to Perl you could use a cgi script to update it as soon as someone starts the app.

You just read the file to find out who's using it then.

There is a problem though... As soon as the app is started and tries to run your cgi script, their firewall will pop up. And if they dont let it out you won't get an accurate figure of how many people are using it.

[EDIT] Just figured a way to do it. If you launch Internet Explorer through the Execfile command (with the URL of the cgi script) this will get through peoples firewalls.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#4]
Actually, Napster isn't what I want. I want it without needing a central server.

Kevin_(Posted 2005) [#5]
There is another way that I know of but it is unsafe. VERY UNSAFE. If each client ftp's into some web space somewhere then the app will be able to leave information in the web space for you to read later. The problem with this method though is that the app will need to log in with a username & password and if people intercept this information then you can say goodbye to your web space which course, buggers everything up.

I dont know any other way apart from modifying one copy of the app for yourself to act as a server and then listening for connections.