Question about BMax

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Question about BMax

Russell(Posted 2004) [#1]
Sorry for putting this here, but I can't post in the BMax area... :(

Anyway, I'm looking forward to buying BMax when it is available for the PC (hopefully within a month or so), but with the manual not available for viewing online I couldn't research myself...

Will all of the versions of BMax support the playing of music modules? (built-in FMod support across platforms?)

If so, is there a LoadMusic command, rather than only a PlayMusic command so we can store our mods in memory if we wish and play them instantly?

Thanks,
Russell

soja(Posted 2004) [#2]
The manual says that there is built-in support for WAV and OGG formats. I didn't see anything about MODs. There are also banks and streams in RAM that you can store resources with.

In fact, you can view the docs if you wish. Just download the demo, unSIT it, and open doc\index.html.

morduun(Posted 2004) [#3]
BMax does not ship with any direct support for FMOD, BASS or any other sound lib aside from its own wav/ogg sound library, which itself only supports extremely basic operation (load, play, pause, stop). There is no native support for MOD/XM/S3M/IT/OXM or even MIDI.

Grisu(Posted 2004) [#4]
Guess there will be a LOT of modules for BMAX in the future to fill these gaps...

sswift(Posted 2004) [#5]
Does Blitzmax have the ability to speed up / slow down individual sounds, and adjust the volume of individual sounds?

Also, does it have the ability to loop sounds?

I think those are basic essentials that the language must have.

morduun(Posted 2004) [#6]
SetChannelRate, SetChannelPan, SetChannelVolume. LoadSound includes a loop flag.

Still no means by which to cue to millisecs or cue points though.

Russell(Posted 2004) [#7]
Oh man... No mod support? Ouch! Looks like I will be sitting on my credit card until I find out if this support will be added in the near future. Hopefully the additonal module(s) will be at a reasonable price...

What else is missing from BMax that we had\have in Blitz (other than the 3D and the mod support)?

Russell

morduun(Posted 2004) [#8]
Regarding sound -- I'm betting the only way we're going to see complete support like that is by linking with a library like FMOD, BASS or Audiere, otherwise the sound support we see in Max right now would have been a lot more robust.

FWIW Audiere, while less capable than bass or fmod, is free. http://audiere.sourceforge.net/

CGV(Posted 2004) [#9]
To elaborate on soja's response, go to Stuffit.com and download the standard edition demo and use it to expand the BlitzMax demo. You can then not only read the docs but check out the sample programs in any word processor. I learned a great deal by examining the .bmx files

Russell(Posted 2004) [#10]
I believe this will be the first version of a Blitz product to ever ship without mod support, including the Amiga "Blitz 2" versions. I wonder why this was not included? I guess I'll have to check out Audiere and hope that it can be used...

I will probably still buy BMax for other reasons, but am a bit disappointed in the lack of mod support. I started to write a mod player in PureBasic once (and got pretty far, thanks to some documentation I found on mod formats), but couldn't figure out how to gain complete control of the sound card under windows...

Oh well...

Russell

Russell(Posted 2004) [#11]
Hey, I just checked out the Audiere site and...wow! This is perfect! It even supports FLAC, which is great (And of course the most important mod formats!). Whoo hoo!

Thanks for the link, morduun!

Russell