An OS?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/An OS?

Lattyware(Posted 2004) [#1]

Last edited 2013

CS_TBL(Posted 2004) [#2]
A true OS with native stuff to control hardware, files, filesystems, low-level-stuff etc. etc. ?

Or just an alternative GUI ?

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#3]
Considering that an .exe has to be run by an operating system, how do you propose to make it 'execute'?

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#4]
no, you can't make an OS using Blitz. To even access most of the core functions, you need access to user32.dll, gdi32.dll and kernel32.dll - which are part of the Windows OS.

If you mean make an entirely new Graphical User Interface for Windows, like Windows Blinds, again no. It doesn't multi-task, and you can't launch other apps in a "blitz" window (you can launch them FROM blitz, but not display them IN blitz). You'd have to resort to using explorer to launch apps and voila - you're back to square one - using Windows rather than your own.

+BlackD

CS_TBL(Posted 2004) [#5]
But.. up to a certain level you can make your own gadgets using canvases and such .. image-buttons, scrollbars etc. etc. .. is that what you mean with 'OS' ?

Lattyware(Posted 2004) [#6]

Last edited 2013

Orca(Posted 2004) [#7]
You could write your own virtual machine...and then write an "OS" for that :)

rdodson41(Posted 2004) [#8]
I have actually been trying to do something of the sort. I started by making a basic computer simulator, with its own assembly language and registers and stuff. It was real primitive and really hard to make it work (and its still not working to well).

All it does is has some simple byte movement and logic and math commands, it loads up a text file in the beggining written in my own assembly language.

If you continued on that sort of idea you could write some sort of OS in your assembly language. I think it would be hard to make a graphical OS, but maybe a terminal-style OS similer to MS-DOS wouldn't be too hard. Or you could just write an simple OS like i mentioned before in Blitz, without the assembly language.

Basically, thought it would be like a virtual OS on your computer, you could still write a simple OS simulator with relative ease.

Arem(Posted 2004) [#9]
Sorry. The posts have been wrong. You could in fact make a shell in blitzplus. You could utilize just the windows desktop background and create your own application to make a window (type 0 for borderless) at the bottom of the screen. Put a canvas and bmps on that and start coding! Users could run applications by clicking on somewhere in your app and it would come up above your window. I may be experimenting with doing this so I'll keep you posted.