Server Question

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Server Question

RyanD(Posted 2004) [#1]
I need some help and advice :|. Im going to start making a net-game and at the beginning there's an update page, so if there's an update you download it. It then shows the list of servers. You choose the server you want and connect to it. Then after that you type in your username and pw to check to see if ur allowed to play. Then you log into the game and in the game it has a chat window. What would be the best way to do this? UDP FTP or just HostNetGame?

semar(Posted 2004) [#2]
This is not a trivial task.

I would use UDP or DirectPlay here. FTP is for file transfer, which isn't really designed for the purpose you're asking for.

TCP is also good, but you have to know the IP address of the servers. In theory you need it too if you want to use UDP, but with UDP you can access to the connecting clients IP by using a broadcast communication system.

DirectPlay is more easy to use than UDP, but has some limitation. It shows a list of available servers though, which is good.

If you are new in the network stuff, I would go for DirectPlay.

Sergio.

RyanD(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thank you, I'm just messing around. I got my Server to check to see if they have the file and it downlaods it into their system.(using FTP). Now would I just make a whole different .bb file for the game and just type in include whatever.bb and run it after it's done downloading(since it's using directplay)