Color() & Text()

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Color() & Text()

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#1]
I use Text() constantly in BlitzPlus because I do fullscreen stuff (and Window'ed GRAPHICS()) stuff. I was thinking, I use Color() to change the current Text() color. Does BlitzPlus have other commands than Color() to change the current pen-color? Any disadvantages / flaws with Color() that you perhaps are aware of? limitations, maybe?

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nope, Color is the only command, but using a lot of text can slow down the application on certain gfx cards, Nvidia if I remember correctly. Use bitmap font instead if possible if its a speed sensitive application.

DNielsen(Posted 2004) [#3]
@Zawran
Thanks, I was not aware that "too many" Text() commands has issues with NVIDIA cards. Do you (or anyone else) know more about this? And @Zawran, guru-old-school-demo-coder - I would love to use Bitmap fonts for everything, but have a hard time finding any complete bitmap fonts online. Any links you could suggest?

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#4]
The text issue have been up several times in the past, and I don't see it being fixed at all.

Yes bitmap fonts are not that ready available, but you can make your own by using the text command to write letters on an image, saving that and then you have a bitmap font. The main concern is getting them saved in the right order.

I don't have any links here at work, and I am not sure I have any at home either, I always make my own :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks, I was not aware that "too many" Text() commands has issues with NVIDIA cards.

If it is inside the main game loop, then -1- is too many. NVidia's drivers suck. That's the gist of it =]

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#6]
Not true. I use NVidia's drivers and have never had problems(GeForce4 MX440 & GeForceFX 5700LE OPTIMA).

It's just SOME NVidia drivers that are horrible.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#7]
Well, ignorance is bliss I suppose =] There are plenty of other people out there that suffer(ed) from it. I never had a problem with it either, but then I've never used anything newer than the WDM drivers on Windows Update.

Funny thing about that : If you browse Windows Catalog, you'll see that at one point the detonator drivers on WU were updated, then some months down the track, they were 'updated' again to a PREVIOUS version. And nothing newer has been released on there since.

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#8]
When I had a Geforce 3 ti500, I could do tons of text's in the main loop.