Gadgets in Desktop

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Gadgets in Desktop

Arem(Posted 2004) [#1]
Is it possible to put a gadget (like a textfield) in the desktop and have the user be able to access it? Ive tried, and it appears but cannot be interacted with.

PS Anybody know how to make blitzbrowse block popups? If we could figure that out we could go crazy with it.

Kevin_(Posted 2004) [#2]
Here's a little demo.

[Code]
MyWindow=CreateWindow("",100,100,400,20,0,0)
MyField=CreateTextField(1,1,398,18,MyWindow)
SetGadgetText MyField,"Type what you like in here..."

; Click on the edge of the box then ESCAPE to quit.

Repeat
If KeyHit(1) Then End
Forever
End
[/Code]

Arem(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yeah. Is there any way to prevent it from putting a bar in the status bar at the bottom of the screen? I want it to live in the desktop.

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#4]
Create a tool window (16) and then parent your desktop window to it. Tool windows don't show in the taskbar.

Arem(Posted 2004) [#5]
quick code sample?

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#6]
tool = CreateWindow("", 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 16)
MyWindow=CreateWindow("",100,100,400,20,tool,0)

Arem(Posted 2004) [#7]
thanks eikon.

Arem(Posted 2004) [#8]
Im working up a web browser that actually "lives" in the users desktop and will allow them to surf the web as well as launch frequently used apps. I just have to find out how to make it not get in the way and not look so harshly contrasted with the desktop background. I could make my own background for it that kind of did a cool sloping thing. Hmm.

Kevin_(Posted 2004) [#9]
I did one a while ago that created a task bar-type thing only it was a verticle one on the right of the desktop. There is an API call (in archives I think) that sets the window to always be on top of everything else which comes in quite handy.