blitzplus with-out directX

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/blitzplus with-out directX

GC-Martijn(Posted 2004) [#1]
H!

I now have Blitz3D but maybe i'm going to buy blitzplus.

An big question is:
Can someone with-out having DirectX,
running my blitzplus app ?

Because it's an small app with-out any 3d things only fileopen and write and some text.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
yes

GC-Martijn(Posted 2004) [#3]
cool :)

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#4]
You could avoid using DirectDraw altogether by using SetGfxDriver. Software might be ok for a text only thing.

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#5]
I have had multiple customers without direct-x unable to run a blitz+ app until they downloaded direct x.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#6]
I have had multiple customers without direct-x unable to run a blitz+ app until they downloaded direct x.

Hmm.. I wonder if that's because of sound rather than graphics.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#7]
It does use DX1. But what OS doesn't have DX1 as standard?

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#8]
I did a quick test, Native is very slow, the fps is usually 333 or 500, OpenGL seems to be always at Infinity, and DirectDraw was at Infinity most of the time, sometimes a number would flash.

; GfxDriver Examples

; Count how many drivers there are
totalDrivers=CountGfxDrivers()
Print "Choose a driver to use:"

; Go through them all and print their names (most people will have only 1)
For t = 1 To totalDrivers
Print t+") " + GfxDriverName$(t)
Next

; Let the user choose one
driver=Input("Enter Selection:")

; Set the driver!
SetGfxDriver driver
Print "Your driver has been selected!"

Graphics 640,480,32,2

Repeat
StartTime%=MilliSecs()
Cls
Text 0,0,1000.0/(MilliSecs()-StartTime%)
Flip
Until KeyHit(1)
End

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#9]
It does use DX1. But what OS doesn't have DX1 as standard?

Win95, I think.

Hmm.. I wonder if that's because of sound rather than graphics.

Sound is handled by FMOD. It could be a case of networking though. That's the only other thing I can think of that uses DX... even DirectInput isn't used until you switch it on now.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#10]
win98 without downloading directx will give u an error...well it did for me anyway

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#11]
I've got a clean install of 98 on a machine at work. I'll try a b+ prog on it tommorow and see if I can confirm ckob's findings.

To my recollection we were told that it would work on any version of Windows (sans 3.1) without the need to install DX.

*edit* Program ran fine with a base install of DX6.1a

Seldon(Posted 2004) [#12]
B+ programs run without any problem on Win98, of course you must select Direct-X if you choose a custom installation. But you don't need to download DirectX-7 . Though B+ ALWAYS needs the OpenGL32.dll , even when you use the DirectDraw-1.0 "driver".

ckob(Posted 2004) [#13]
hmm thats weird I have windows 98 SE im not sure why it didnt work, I also installed the B+ update too and still get an error.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#14]
To my recollection we were told that it would work on any version of Windows (sans 3.1) without the need to install DX.

No, if it was created in B+ it needs DX1 =]

DX1 or higher comes on all version of Windows 98 onwards, Win95 had DX1 included ... well, not in the first major release, but somewhere along the line.

I'm pretty sure a B+ program would not work on Win3.1 ever. =]

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#15]

DX1 or higher comes on all version of Windows 98 onwards, Win95 had DX1 included ... well, not in the first major release, but

Thus the user doesn't have to manually install it, like I said.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#16]
Well yes, I misread you a little, sorry, but was mostly just clarifying Win3.1 and Win95 a little. =]

DrMartin(Posted 2004) [#17]
If somebody's still running Windows 3.1 or 95, DirectX isn't thier biggest problem...