Anyone interested in this?

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Anyone interested in this?

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#1]
Im making a GUI but it only works with BlitzPlus because it uses windows and canvases to make the GUI work more like windows!

But im wondering, would anyone actually be willing to use a custom GUI when they have the windows gui already under their finger?

BTW the GUI so far uses messages like BlitzPlus does

William Miller(Posted 2004) [#2]
MrSak,

If your work extends the Blitz GUI or adds new functionality then I for one would be interested.

WM

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#3]
Im still adding the basic controls to it, so far I have:
windows
labels
containers (panels)
and buttons!

Ill post a picture sometime once i remake the test windows

I said this above but I think i should rephrase it; the gui is event driven!

william, any idea on what i can extend or add new functionality to?

rdodson41(Posted 2004) [#4]
Maybe add things like textareas/textfields/listboxes/comboboxes. You know, like the ones that are needed for a lot of things.

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#5]
"Im still adding the basic controls to it"

CS_TBL(Posted 2004) [#6]
I'm already using my own GUI for many parts.. it's not always super-advanced (it's all based on canvases, no floating popup-stuff like pulldownmenus) but it works very easy, looks cool and is less work with compared with native B+ GUI stuff..

So, I can already say that anyone would benefit from a more advanced GUI system.. image-buttons, button-groups, scrollpanels, imagepanels.. (all with checks so you can't make terminal mistakes by using non-excisting images etc.)

(in 98se such stuff is usually terminal yeah :)

Heck, I even made a compact texture-generator that creates all the buttons/gfx for me :)

That's why things never get done.. I started with B3d as I wanted to make games.. since games need editors, I bought B+ .. since editors need to look cool/managable I started my own GUI stuff.. what's next? :)

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#7]
Once I get list boxes and pull down menus in (I have windows, labels, buttons, text fields and checkboxes) im gonna go back and work on features for those gadgets. Like disabling/enabling, icons, etc

And I dont want to finish it before 2005, so I got lots of time to add lots of stuff.

I gotta post a picture...

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#8]
I got me a picture of the GUI ready for public viewing :P

CS_TBL(Posted 2004) [#9]
looks nice already .. the GUI stuff was made in blitzplus I guess (no DLL things, just pure B+) ?

I've a few points tho .. but those are based on my own exp in doing GUI stuff, so: yes I'm biased, and you may ignore them :)

*1* I don't like types .. :) I use banks, that way my own GUI commands 'look' like internal B+ commands .. I made a tutorial on this, in 'tutorials'..

example: I have a button-group object that is to be declared like this:

buttonzz=CreateMBButton(x,y,buttonwidth,buttonheight,xbuttons,ybuttons,parent,style,imagefile$,imagehandle,r,g,b)
AddMBButton 0,0,imagefile,imagehandle,ID$,state,buttonzz
AddMBButton 1,0,imagefile,imagehandle,ID$,state,buttonzz
etc.

It looks fairly standard/'internal' .. Because it looks so 'internal' the user doesn't even need to know they're banks anyway, while I feel the user should know at least a bit about types in your example.

*2* .. how do you create the gfx (for the titlebar for example) ..? Is it always a gradient? Do you load an image? Do you generate this image?

*3* "It supports up to 512 items!" why 512? :) iirc you can just add new elements in either a bank or a type.

Just a few thingies .. remember I'm biased towards banks, so if you don't agree on banks, you're welcome anyway :)

btw.. the textfield, how do you do the keyboard-stuff? with 'Keyhit' and 'Keydown' ?

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#10]
I dont like banks, I dont know how to use them to their full extent yet, as I do more with types.

I do some basic math to get the gradient bar upon start up:
Global XP_Titlebar%=CreateImage(1,18)
SetBuffer ImageBuffer(XP_Titlebar%)
For t%=0 To 18
Color 230-(t%*8),0,0
Plot 0,t%
Next