Celeron

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/Celeron

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#1]
Will blitz+ applications and games run on an Intel Celeron Processor?

I have a customer who is able to see the graphics but her mouse is flickering when the app is run and she can not control it. It wiggles uncontrollably and appears and disappears. I tried messing with flip false and adding a delay in the main loop but this didnt help.

Orca(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yes.

Sounds like theres something up with your code(or her system).

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#3]
So an Intel Celeron Processor should be ok with graphics?

Also what type of thing would cause a flickering mouse like explained above?

Also, it seems that flipcanvas is causing a problem after talking to her some more...

This code creates a flicker
window = CreateWindow ("test",0,0,800,600)
canvas = CreateCanvas (0,0,800,600,window)
SetBuffer CanvasBuffer (canvas)

While Not KeyHit(1)

FlipCanvas canvas 
Wend

This one works fine, mouse is normal:

While Not KeyHit(1)

Flip 
Wend

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#4]
I used to have a problem with my mouse cursor flickering or disappearing in some games until one day I realized that it was due to my mouse having "mouse trails" on. Once I turned off the mouse trails, everything was A-OK.

Orca(Posted 2004) [#5]
Unless you were doing something super cpu intensive, and she had a really old celeron, I would rule out the cpu being an issue.

Have you tried testing with anyone else? How does it run on your system?

Theres nothing obvious in the snippets you put up(I dont think that the flip in the 2nd snippet does anything, but I don't have b+ installed atm )

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#6]
Update the mouse driver.

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#7]
The problem is the OS isn't getting a chance to operate with the application flipping the canvas thousands of times a second.

When you are programming in Windows mode you must let the OS breath by using a proper event handler instead of the "busy loop" you are currently using.

You need to either use the recomended WaitEvent loop or add Delays to your code:

This code works fine on my system where as your flip canvas code above causes my mouse to stutter horribly (pentium4 + geforce4TI)

While Not KeyHit(1)
	FlipCanvas canvas 
	Delay 1 ;let the os run - most blitplus apps will use a waitevent loop which is the recomended method
Wend

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks for the responses.

The test code above obviously isn't the app. It was a test on her machine to see if graphics were an issue.

I will try everything mentioned above and hopefully can solve this. Technical support sometimes is frustraiting when you cant experience what the user is :)