exe

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/exe

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#1]
With b+, is it possible to make a program that can make an executable .exe file? For instance, can a exe wrapper program be made? Or can a myst style game engine be made to put together the game and then compile an exe ? if so, where can i find info about this?

Kev(Posted 2004) [#2]
yes, ive done this. ive wrote a compiler using blitz+, .exe compiled size is (513 bytes) without import/exports. i coded this for use with blitzlockit .exe wrapper.

email me if you would like more information.

kev

skn3(Posted 2004) [#3]
An exe file is no different from any other file. So yes this is possible using the WriteByte command. Or you could build your exe in a bank, then dump it all into a file in one go.

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#4]
how can I find out how to make the exe file? Is there any good books or tutorials?

I am new to the "bits and bytes" thing. I cant seem to figure it out since I can not find a good source on how to actually use it for something useful like writing an exe wrapper.

Does anyone have a sample?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#5]
Have a look at these:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=msdn+pe+format

(You're on your own, though!)

MSW(Posted 2004) [#6]
www.wotsit.org contains the .EXE file format info (among many other file formats). Generaly bookwise you will need to search for info reguarding the development of programing language compilers, linkers, and even books on assemblers .. another resource is the CPU chip manufacture, and thier released info concerning opcodes (PC wise though you should mostly stick with the x86 standards)...Not to mention the obvious Microsoft resources, needed inorder to interface with thier operateing systems...

Although if you are new to this "bits and bytes" thing, be prepaired to really sit down and study long before you begin...as the saying goes "now you are playing with power" and mistakes could quickly prove rather destructive to your PC...good luck all the same :)

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks for the input. I will look into the resources mentioned above.

Kev(Posted 2004) [#8]
Charlie check your email, ive attached some blitz+ example that builds and save a new exe.

kev

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#9]
Thanks kev!

skn3(Posted 2004) [#10]
Feel like putting it in the code archives ?

Id be interested to have a look :)

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#11]
Hey Kev, It's been about 8hrs or so now and the email didnt come through, would you mind sending again to charlesaudler@...?

Kev(Posted 2004) [#12]
added to code archive.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#13]
where .. ?

Kev(Posted 2004) [#14]
under Miscellaneous.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#15]
Ah, I looked for your username .. but couldn't find it. Probably would have been a good idea to put it in file section. Anyway, going to check it now TY!