external applications from within

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/external applications from within

Mr Brine(Posted 2004) [#1]
Alright all,

Supposing I created a blitz application and within that application I wanted to execute an external app such as mspaint or notepad, but basicly whatever. Is it possible to to have the external application behave like a child window of the blitz application? ie keeping the external application focused until either a) the external app is closed (in which case the blitz application takes control)or b) some other utility not related to my app becomes focused.

Hope that makes sense.

Ta

Mr Brine

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#2]
What your describing is called a modal child window. To make another application a child to a blitz window takes some API work:

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum6&topic=001433

To make it modal, that is, to have it steal focus and stay above the blitz app, i'm not so sure about. Maybe someone else can help with that bit.

soja(Posted 2004) [#3]
An easy trick is to use DisableGadget on the main window, and when the other window closes, use EnableGadget.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#4]
Is there are a way to get ExecFile to wait for a program before continuing like back in the olden days? Is there a flag or something?