stupid question....

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/stupid question....

ngi(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am a noob , and I want to make a game and you have to input something into it . When I use the command input another window appears and this is not what I want , I want it to do it in the main game window.

thx!

any help?

RedRidingHood(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hi NGI,

I'm kind of a newbie to BP too, though I've had Blitz Basic and Blitz 3d for a couple of years. I can try to answer your questions though. :)

What kind of a window is your main window? The reason I ask is that 'Input' is a command that doesn't work with the gui type windows (at least that is my understanding). You used to be able to use 'Print' and 'Input' with Blitz Basic but it doesn't seem to work like it did with Blitz Plus.

The window that is popping up is probably a console window. How you fix this will depend on what kind of a window you are trying to get input from.

soja(Posted 2004) [#3]
If you're using the Graphics command (fullscreen) in Blitzplus, then you'll probably have to code your own routine with Keyhit. As Juniper said, Input doesn't work the same way with Blitzplus as it does with Blitz3D or BlitzBasic. I think, though, that someone has already done this -- check out the code archives. As an advantageous side effect, the rest of your game can still run even when it's getting user input (i.e. it doesn't stop running its main loop while the user enters input).

When you get more used to it, a more Blitzplus-ish way would be to use a full-screen canvas and do user input with textfields or something like that.