DX + Blitz

BlitzPlus Forums/BlitzPlus Programming/DX + Blitz

jbomhold(Posted 2004) [#1]
What verison of direct x is used by blitz ?

skn3(Posted 2004) [#2]
b3d uses version 7
b+ uses version 1 (I think)

xlsior(Posted 2004) [#3]
BlitzPlus uses directX 1
Blitz 2D uses DirectX 7
Blitz 3D uses DirectX 7

code(Posted 2004) [#4]
Why in the world does b+ use dx1? That's pretty bad.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#5]
No, not bad, GOOD ;c) faster and compatible with any system out there. Blitz Plus can also use OpenGL and it can use Mark's software renderer.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#6]
Code, on the 2D side, DX7 offers next to no improvements, hence using DX1 is far better as programs will run on a far wider range of PCs.

jbomhold(Posted 2004) [#7]
Now heres why I asked. I got 3 people beta testing for me. One has no trouple at all the other guy is having a my network only want sto work sometimes prob, and the other guy The app slows the heck out of his computer. He gots a 1ghz, 512mb not shoure about video card. Thing is when I had dx 7 not 8 like a game I had wanted it did same to me. But since its got direct x its back to the good old drawing board to debug this.

If anyone was wondering I got over the network prob. It wasn't code was my darn invisable firewall that router had but never said anything about it.
Ty
John

Neochrome(Posted 2004) [#8]
not sure, prolly get my head eaten off for this, But why does B+ Need DX at all! example C++ and VB dont use it, unless you programm it in, and B+ should only be for windows apps, if you wanted to use 2D games, We all have BB and/or B3D. ?

(dont hit me)

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#9]
VB & VC++ can both do 2D using Window's GDI functions and GDI is very slow. BB has not been sold for ages and is a dead product, and that was based on DX7. B3D can do 2D, but it is still based on DX7 and B3D produces some larger EXEs than B+. Many budget graphics cards choke on DX7 2D windowed mode.

MS dropped support for true 2D in DX. DX 7 was the last version to use it. DX8 introduced a combo of 2d/3D called DirectX Graphics. If you use DX8 or above for 2D, you are not using true 2d, your 2d is being emulated via 3D methods. Fast, but not as compatible with older systems.

2D doesn't need to be hightech and should really be compatible with the largest amount of machines possible. Mark opted for using DX1 because it is fast and will work on virtually any system out there and even works in windowed mode on crappy graphics cards. Mark added OpenGL which is nice and a good bit faster, and Mark's software rendering (doesnt use DX for graphics) is very fast and perfect for some games that do not need the speed of DX or OpenGL.